Thread: GUI and moore

Default GUI and moore

I like the concept of Untangle but it would be good with an advanced mode with more settings, my main interset with Untangle is fighting SPAM and it could have been more settings lika an global white/blacklist. There would be good with an implementation of greylist and sender verification like in Hexamail Guard.

The thing with Untangle that is really scary is the GUI, it is terrible, why so much graphics, it just take up space on the desktop, it could be much cleaner whitout all graphis so you donīt have to scroll so much.
    One of the nicest GUI i have seen is the Synology interface, clean and nice, the pfSense interface is also clean and nice, easy to navigate.

Thanks

mdh

Thanks for the feedback here. There are many requests to be able to dig deeper with fighting spam, and we hear them. The GUI will likely evolve in the future BUT the graphical presentation is actually something that makes many customers like it. People who are not well-versed in network management but still have the need to do so in their own business are sometimes intimidated by the pure text approach, and may be very intimidated by the very thought of going to a command line. On the other hand, seasoned network admins often want to dump the fluff. Its a balancing act. Keep watching future releases to see where we go with the look and feel.

pfSense's interface is terrible.. the layout is clunky and the menu's contrived. I have deployed pfSense in more places than I care to admit and I still hate that system. The UT GUI is a breath of fresh air, sure it is huge, yes it is slow, and it does burn more than its share of memory. But, all this comes with the ability for me to find what I want in less than half a second, show the interface directly to a customer and have them understand, and in general focus on the human side of my networks more than the technical side.

In short, UT's GUI rocks.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I disagree ... to do anything useful, two interfaces need to be opened, the rack GUI and the web GUI. Having everything consolidated into a web GUI seems easier than needing a separate app for the rack. Otherwise, I'm using both screens of my dual-monitor setup just to manage the UT box (plus the SSH console, but most users probably won't use that).

Hmm well you have a point there. Most of the adjustments I do are to the web side so I rarely have the rack open. Then ssh to troubleshoot.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com