Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think you'll be rather pleased with the results. My issues with DNS created a very similar situation with a severely messed up bayes database. A reset, and two days later things calmed down considerably. A week after that, I was back to 1-2 spam messages a day at most, with entire days going by without a single spam message.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Ok; so update for everyone!

We got the Spam Blocker database reset, and I've removed all but two checks on my Postfix server: you must greet me with a HELO/ELHO, and you must be sending to an active email account (we specifically allow addresses in). All other checks are disabled.

As expected, the amount of spam that Untangle is seeing/blocking has skyrocketed. For my own personal inbox, things look about the same. I'm occasionally seeing one or two pieces of spam make it in. I haven't heard complaints yet from other users.

So far, the system is performing as expected/outlined by the service tech: Within the first 2-3 days, you should see a drastic drop in spam but some will get through. Over the next 1-2 weeks, it should almost be completely eliminated.

I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I can at least say from my viewpoint I'm no worse off than I was with my previous configuration. Thigns can only get better from here!

*fingers crossed*

Untanglit

spam count.png

So far, it appears to be getting better. I'll be very interested to see how it fares after next week.

Thanks to everyone for their help & suggestions!

Untanglit

UPDATE: I'm back in the office after an extended weekend. We've made it through the first week of retraining the spam filter. Users will not be contacting me with spam complaints (as directed) for another week. We're still seeing spam and some viruses getting through. I understand that the system needs at least another full week to two weeks to get fully retrained. Unless something drastic happens, I'll hold off on updating this thread until the 27th/28th of October.

Untanglit

current spam.png

FYI: Here's a screen cap of my junk mail folder in Outlook.

To beat a dead horse... This will be my last time beating this horse.

Use the events in reports. Please realize we can not force you to do it. Only you can do it.
    A screenshot of your spam folder in outlook is useless. We don't know what spam blocker thought of those emails or even if it saw them at all.

To be totally blunt, if you are not willing to use the events which has all the information about how emails are scored, you will not be able to solve anything.

good luck.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

*takes the stick from you & starts beating it for you

Ok; I get it. I'll get you the damn events you're asking for. I've already conceded that you were right earlier, so please back off a little. It's bad enough I'm dealing with a less-than-ideal environment here. I get I'm not posting anything of worth to you.

So yeah; I'll get you the events your asking for.

Untanglit

Spam fail.txt

Here are 20 events that made it past the filter.

Great info.

I would try two changes:
    * increase the "Message Size Limit" to something higher. What is it now? I would try "1048576." Several of them werent even scanned because they were large.
    * change the threshold to custom 4.0. Many of these scored 4.1

I think those two changes alone will reduce those by more than half.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Made the changes as indicated. We've still got (approximately) one more week to go in the retraining 'period', so I agree the results can only go up from here. The work that HAS been done in regards to reducing spam is apparent to everyone in the IT Dept here. There's no question that the numbers in Untangle are comparable/better to what we were seeing just in the Postfix logs alone. Some of the limitations we have are due to the infrastructure we're currently stuck with supporting. In time, we hope to get those corrected as well.

Time to sit back and wait....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast