Thread: 3.2 kernel

Untanglit

Exclamation 3.2 kernel

3.2 kernel is ancient now and I am having hardware issues because of that.
    I would love to know if we will have any newer kernel anytime soon.

Thank you for all your hard work, Untangle is simply the best!

And what kernel would in your opinion not be ancient?

Debian 8.2 is the current release of Debian, and the most recent kernel it carries is 3.16.

Debian is historically rather conservative when it comes to kernel releases. However, the kernel version has little to do with hardware support. That's a function of kernel modules being compiled to work with various hardware.

And yes, finding well supported hardware is a challenge. That's why the uSeries exists, that's why hardware providing partners such as myself exist. No, you can't just grab a random desktop and expect it to operate Untangle well. Nor should you... would you expect a Dell Optiplex to do the same job as a Dell Poweredge? no... but you also can't call one better than the other because they do two different jobs, like a car vs a truck.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Debian kernels get updates back ported to them to stay more up to date than just 3.2 would indicate. I assuming Untangle pushes them to us in their updates.

It would be nice if they offered the official back port kernel as an option tho.

That's not easy, Untangle's kernel is customized.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I didn't say it was easy, just that I assume untangle are updating it and pushing it out in updates. For someone else to do it they would have to reverse engineer the config file. Way too much work.

I think the virtual pipeline, which is the proprietary bit of Untangle has some kernel mods involved to make the magic happen. If that's the case, you can't just back port a kernel. Untangle has to support it, which honestly means upgrading Untangle to use it. And, historically they've used the released version of Debian's mainline kernel, with back ported security patches.

So you're not going to see a 4.x kernel anytime soon, not until sometime after Debian adopts it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    And what kernel would in your opinion not be ancient?

Debian 8.2 is the current release of Debian, and the most recent kernel it carries is 3.16.

Debian is historically rather conservative when it comes to kernel releases. However, the kernel version has little to do with hardware support. That's a function of kernel modules being compiled to work with various hardware.

And yes, finding well supported hardware is a challenge. That's why the uSeries exists, that's why hardware providing partners such as myself exist. No, you can't just grab a random desktop and expect it to operate Untangle well. Nor should you... would you expect a Dell Optiplex to do the same job as a Dell Poweredge? no... but you also can't call one better than the other because they do two different jobs, like a car vs a truck.
    Say what?

I've run Untangle on a wide variety of hardware without any issues at all. Optiplex 755's seem to run it perfectly, even under high load at sustained 600Mbps+ speeds. That's one of the benefits of Untangle, it generally can run fine on just about anything. Try that with Sophos XG and you'll find different.