Default SMTP vs POP3 and IMAP

Just installed V12 dist at home. Terrific product and performing really well. My only real disappointment is the PHISH and SPAM apps only work on SMTP protocol and this protocol is not really relevant for small setups (home). It appears I have the choice of creating a home mail server with all the cost and associated operational overhead just so I can scan SMTP inbound, or buy yet another product or service. Any chance of enabling scanning of POP3 and / or iMAP? It might be inefficient but this is not really relevant to home users. With the advent of a home use license the absence of this facility is a big gap....

If you are using POP or IMAP, all major ISP have anti-SPAM and anti-virus software already. Then throw in that their are few using unencrypted POP/IMAP . Most if not all have gone to encrypted POPS and IMAPS which would require SSL inspection.

The numbers are small and decrease every year still using POP/IMAP.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Home users don't use POP / IMAP, they use gmail or outlook.com.

As JCoffin pointed out, you're using the filters provided by the mail server operator. Because that's where this technology works, between the mail server and the world, not the client and the mail server. It's too late to filter between the client and the mail server. Leave that duty to your AV scanner on your machines, it's far better at it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Chaps. These are interesting comments but I can't agree. I work in Cyber Security in a bank, so I understand the issues. Hence I purchased an Untangle license for home.
    If the ISPs were brilliant at anti SPAM and anti PHISH I wouldn't have an inbox full of dangerous material and nor would my family. The ISP offerings are very light on, and not nearly effective enough. In the office environment I subscribe to a proofpoint or a fireeye filter to provide deeper mail inspection. At home I don't have this facility, and I thought that Untangle's proposition was that they were providing a deeper auto SPAM and anti PHISH capability with their applications.
    And I agree that most small to medium business will have an SMTP mail relay so they will be covered by the V12 release. But untangle have targeted the the home by positioning an attractive package, and most home users will have no SMTP server. While it might be more efficient to filter at SMTP, it is not less effective to filter POP3 or IMAP.
    AV scanners are also very ineffective; hence the ability of Dridex/Dyer/Andromeda to enter home users email, infect their machines and steal their money...all under the watchful eye of Anti-virus.
    If the answer is 'Untangle provides no better AntiSPAM / Anti PHISH that your ISP' then so be it. Not great, but an answer. I don't think the protocol filtered should be a proxy for outcome quality.

These features were removed for a reason. They won't be coming back.

1) You shouldn't be transmitting your password in the clear across the internet. (Especially since you work in cybersecurity).

2) POP & IMAP scanning are painful when implemented at the gateway. Unlike SMTP, messages are fetched only when requested by the user. As a result you have a ~20 second delay whenever you click on an email message before the body appears. Or worse if its spam it just disappears or changes to [SPAM] after you click on it. Especially for IMAP, this is beyond infuriating and makes email completely unusable. The treatment is worse than the disease. If we still had this feature you would instead be posting right now complaining that IMAP becomes completely unusable once you enable spam blocker.

3) If your ISP sucks at anti-spam and anti-virus, use one of the free mail offerings that don't suck. There are some really good ones like google and hotmail. As a bonus you won't have to let your whole address book know your new email address whenever you change ISPs.

4) Additionally, POP & IMAP are becoming less common as the world move to the web. We want to build a firewall for the future, not the past.
    Last edited by dmorris; 03-16-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com