Untanglit

Default Better Looking Alerts

Is there a way to clean up emailed alerts? This is so hard to read:
    Code:
    Server load is very high:
    The current system state is: [ Load (1-minute): 21.87, Load (5-minute): 7.5, Load (15-minute): 2.7, Memory Free: 3367MB, Disk Free: 15126MB, Swap Free: 2683MB ]

Causal Event: SystemStatEvent
    {
        "activeHosts": 4,
        "memFree": 3530948608,
        "load1": 21.87,
        "timeStamp": "2016-03-16 12:42:17.734",
        "memTotal": 4157009920,
        "swapTotal": 2814373888,
        "load5": 7.5,
        "memCache": 98910208,
        "cpuSystem": 0.019290604,
        "diskFreePercent": 0.87009877,
        "diskFree": 15860768768,
        "load15": 2.7,
        "cpuUser": 0.031736154,
        "diskTotal": 18228699136,
        "swapFree": 2814373888,
        "memFreePercent": 0.8493962,
        "memBuffers": 0
    }
    Even something as simple as converting the values to something more meaningful would be helpful.

The top portion is the human readable and the bottom is the raw JSON data if you are interested.

How many cores is the CPU for this box? Load of 21 with only 4 hosts behind is high. Which version is this? Probably someone is hitting the block or capture page hard or there is something seriously wrong with the hardware.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 03-16-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

It's a VMware VM (hardware version 8) running on ESXi 5.5. It has 4 vCPUs and 4GB of RAM.

Why is the JSON object in the email?? I don't see how that benefits us? It doesn't mean much without pulling out a calculator and converting the values, and it's super ugly.

The first part is human readable, yes, but just barely.

Server load is very high:
    The current system state is: [ Load (1-minute): 21.87, Load (5-minute): 7.5, Load (15-minute): 2.7, Memory Free: 3367MB, Disk Free: 15126MB, Swap Free: 2683MB ]
    From the above:
    Load (1/5/15-minute): What are the units here? MHz consumed, percentage of total consumed CPU resources, or percentage of total available CPU resources? I'm assuming the values are averaged over the time span indicated, but at what polling rate? I feel like these values are better displayed on a graph than in numeric form - why not just snapshot the graph that's already on the new dashboard and provide it in the alert instead of the numbers (or in addition to the numbers)?
    Memory/Disk/Swap Free: I understand that accuracy is everything, but this is an alert and is supposed to cause a deeper investigation - I don't see how high precision is necessary in this context (and to be honest, the values aren't highly precise, they're just ugly). Why not put commas in the thousands place; or better yet, provide the data in GB and not MB unless the value is < 1024?

Just some ideas.

Untangler

Hi,

The load figures are Linux load averages.
    This site does a pretty good job of explaining it:
    http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/20...-load-averages

In your case, a load average above 4 is high - so 21.87 is pretty crazy. As John says, I expect you have a VM/config problem or are subject to a packet storm/attack of some sort.

And yes, the figures aren't the prettiest, but a quick swap onto the GUI front page will show you at a glance the details in a more manageable form (especially the CPU load - with low/medium/high). Untangle v12 does it even better, with nice graphs and things!

JSON is how the data is retreived from the database, hence raw data. While you have 4 cores for the ESXi, how many are solely assigned to the Untangle instance?

Here is a good explanation of CPU load on Untangle.
    https://forums.untangle.com/networki...t-matters.html

If the CPU spike stays high with only 4 clients, most likely there is a misconfigured network config on the VM instance of Untangle with is causing a network storm.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by ek-dyoder View Post
    It's a VMware VM (hardware version 8) running on ESXi 5.5. It has 4 vCPUs and 4GB of RAM.
    The RAM is probably fine, but that depends if you are using the x64 or x86 versions of Untangle NG. Assigning 4 CPU's to that VM is way too much. You may not know this, but assigning more virtual hardware than needed is actually counterproductive because of the way VMWare handles resource scheduling. It is important to look at the performance counters in VMWare to determine if more hardware is needed. You cannot just look at the perf counters within a VM. A single vCPU is plenty for what you're doing.
    ...Rick

Untanglit

I appreciate all the feedback about the alert itself and the configuration of the VM.

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a feature request to have nicer looking email alerts. Something a little more user friendly that would better match the design concepts in the rest of UT.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk