Untangler

Default 'Download Now' button on website

Curiosity can be demanding

I'm finding that whatever machine I seem to use, if I am using Firefox as my browser, I can kiss the idea of using that button goodbye: it will not work.
    However, if I use Internet Explorer, it works.
    The only thing that comes up as the target description for the button on the bottom left of my browser window is "javascript:getFile()", and hovering over it will change the cursor, but that's about it.

I get the above behaviour on desktops running Microsoft Windows XP and Vista with Firefox 2.x installed, No desktop firewalls are present.

Anyone else seeing this and if yes, what causes it?

I don't see that behavior and we have all flavors of OSes and Browsers.
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

Are you running noScript?
    If so then, yes, the script doesn't run.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

The button does not work in clean installed machines running Windows XP Professional SP2 that are equipped with Firefox (English or Dutch locale) version 2.0.0.14
    NoScript is not installed on those machines, only my own (On which I can see it actively blocking google-analytics.com, with untangle.com on the Allowed list.)
    But as I wrote, in an empty 2.0.0.14 profile I can't use the button either.
    What's stranger is, in Windows 2000 SP4 it works with the exact same browser and version..
    Last edited by Xolo; 06-27-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Friday typo

Master Untangler

J A V A update to the latest, you will be GOLDEN

Untangler

@bratsadtar: Javascript != Java (Javascript is not Java)
    And while I did update Sun's Java VM, it didn't change the behaviour at all. Note that the Windows 2000 SP4 machine actually lacks a Java VM, and the button works there.
    I ran out of things to check; clean install of Windows XP/Vista + clean install of Firefox 2.0.0.14 (today's update to .15, same story) without any extensions is about as low level as I can go on this, and it just doesn't work - so i'm going to leave it for what it is: broken.

By the way, since a few days it appears that the "Free Download" button on the index of Untangle.com now also doesn't work: You end up timing out while attempting to open "http://staging-www.untangle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=226&Itemid=739"
    The time out occurs on three separate internet connections from three different ISPs (Ziggo (Business cable 3Mbit), XS4ALL (Business ADSL 2Mbit), Orange (Consumer cable 8Mbit))
    I don't know what to make of that, but it's dead, jim.

Master Untangler

Windows 2000 sp4, does run JVM, just so you know.
    In order to install JVM you need to install "Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Build 5.00.3805". This will install with no problems. Then if you wish you can visit windows update and download and install "816093: security update microsoft virtual machine".
    Have you tried this??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, you may want to try adding google-analytics.com to your allowed list of sites under XP & VISTA

Make certain your Firefox doesn't have any third party blockers installed with it.