Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experiences from a new home user

After a lot of research, I decided to buy UntangleNG Firewall for my home network (I'm a nerd, 50+ devices and kids hitting puberty and using internet without supervision)

Please prove me wrong on the following. I rather stand corrected than having other first timers facing similar issues.
    - I was about to give up to buy the home product as the link from the menu for home use points to commercial prices. I found the solution in the forums (change licensed devices to "home")
    - I'm living overseas, buying HW from the US is a hassle. If the U50 was available in Europe, I would buy it right away. I'm aware there are local partners but these don't serve the home market, are very small or very expensive.
    - In addition to the above: some recommend HW barebones would be appreciated. I'm continuing my quest for the perfect device.

I'm quite aware that the home edition is not Untangle's money maker, but home users can become ambassadors for the company. Access to white papers without registration would be nice.

Don't get me wrong please, I'm very excited to start using the firewall. Next step is choosing the HW followed by fun-nerd-time and happy posts over here Frank

Untangle runs on just about anything, but if you want a box that just works you need to work with someone that can provide one. I ship all over the world, and the costs aren't nearly what you might expect.

I don't know of any Untangle partners that actually stock hardware themselves.

So what's so painful about ordering from a US based entity? For myself it's just go to website and swipe your credit card. The exchange rates can be a bit... difficult sometimes, but the process is the same as a domestic order.

The subscription you want however, must be purchased from Untangle directly. Re-sellers aren't allowed to handle the home version.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks Sky-Knight! The intention of my post was merely to share my experiences, not a rant or complaint at all.

The problem with shipping is that most EU countries add sales tax, import duties and handling costs by customs (21% + 5% + $15 for Holland over the total value: item plus shipping) which must be paid upon delivery. If you're not home twice, it ends somewhere in a warehouse to pick up. As an indication the U25 is 399 + 166 shipping = $565 + 5% = $ 593 + 21% (yes taxes over duties as well) = 718 + 15 = $733. My government causes the pain. Shipping costs are provided by Untangle

Buying software was easy as you pointed out and $140 for five years is heaven!

Based on your advice, my best option is to buy a Shuttle brick pc with two Intel NICs I guess. Thanks for offering help!

For home use that should do fine. It's trivial to get things running up to about 300mbit, after that... well that's when things get interesting sometimes.

If you want to do some specific hardware homework, you're looking for stuff that will work with Debian Linux. Which generally speaking if you stick with Intel CPU, chipsets, and NICs, is anything a year or so old or older is all but guaranteed to work.

I know the import duties can get crazy sometimes. My logistics people play games with that paperwork to minimize the fees on a regular basis. Thus far, the hardest place we've ever reached was Malta. Whoa man is that little island hard to ship to!
    Akubra likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    For home use that should do fine. It's trivial to get things running up to about 300mbit, after that... well that's when things get interesting sometimes.

If you want to do some specific hardware homework, you're looking for stuff that will work with Debian Linux. Which generally speaking if you stick with Intel CPU, chipsets, and NICs, is anything a year or so old or older is all but guaranteed to work.

I know the import duties can get crazy sometimes. My logistics people play games with that paperwork to minimize the fees on a regular basis. Thus far, the hardest place we've ever reached was Malta. Whoa man is that little island hard to ship to!
    Hi Sky Knight, what would you do to get things up to 300mbit?

Many thanks
    Simon

Like I said, just about anything works to that speed. Decent Intel gigabit interfaces, ATOM CPU, couple GB of RAM and you're off.

Going beyond that requires wirespeed gigabit thinking. That's where usually the ATOM boards start to run into PCI bus limitations, so you end up needing to kick into iSeries CPUs to get the updated mainboard, same NICs, same RAM.

Want faster than Gbit? You need an appliance, or a server. Want reliable Gbit? Get an appliance.

But anything up to 300mbit? That's pretty easy as long as you stay away from cheap NICs.
    Akubra likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Like I said, just about anything works to that speed. Decent Intel gigabit interfaces, ATOM CPU, couple GB of RAM and you're off.

Going beyond that requires wirespeed gigabit thinking. That's where usually the ATOM boards start to run into PCI bus limitations, so you end up needing to kick into iSeries CPUs to get the updated mainboard, same NICs, same RAM.

Want faster than Gbit? You need an appliance, or a server. Want reliable Gbit? Get an appliance.

But anything up to 300mbit? That's pretty easy as long as you stay away from cheap NICs.
    Thanks for the reply, what about from a virtual point of view? (ESXi)

Thanks
    Simon

Master Untangler

Hi Akubra,

I'm also from NL and have decided to buy the Qotom Q190G4 after seeing someone on the forum report it works good with untangle. I have received it beginning of this week and have already installed untangle on it. The device is completely fanless and has 4x intel NIC's and the quad core Celeron is more than sufficient for untangle. I have installed 2GB RAM (for now) and a 120GB mSATA SSD and it is verrrry fast and responsive. Total cost incl. shipping is about EUR 170,- (without ram/ssd which i bought seperately). Shipping is pretty fast, about 1 week.

Although i plan to run a virtual server at home i did decide to let untangle run on a dedicated appliance. It is the gateway to internet and must work always, something which is a little bit harder to achieve with a virtual server running all kinds of other guests depending on the availability of the untangle for dns etc... But, off course it can be done if you want.
    Akubra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KLSsandman View Post
    Thanks for the reply, what about from a virtual point of view? (ESXi)

Thanks
    Simon
    Virtual performance is tied to your skill with the hypervisor in question, and resources dedicated to Untangle. Server grade equipment as the ability to go as fast as you could ever want. But proper configuration is absolutely critical here.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Ji BigKnot,

I made a slightly different choice, but opted for 8 GB RAM as it serves some entertainment/educational purposes too. I know it's too much, but 640 KB ought to be enough was true at some point in time too. Virtualisation is no option for me as I prefer to have network devices (i.e. layer 3/4/ or lower) to run on separate appliances. I'm aware Untangle spans all levels

Asian countries get away with $0.00 value or "return repaired product" labels where Western ones get in trouble. That s.cks big time.

Memory and SSD will arrive tomorrow, I can't wait to get started! $140 is for 3 years, not five as I said previously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast