Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

Exactly 50 IPS are little for todays home, but for there XG there is no limit just that you can not have more then 6gb ram and 4 core cpu, well you can have more but the os will not utilize more then that, but I read that the XG looks like a failure as sophos fen boys hate it and are saying bad things about it, I also tried XG and did not like it, good luck to simply forward a port

Untangle Ninja

I've been testing Sophos UTM for the past day... initially seems better than untangle in some ways, while Untangle seems better in other ways. the Sophos UI seems more polished, yet harder to use (reminds me of sonicwall in some ways).

The spam filtering implementation seems superior; being able to Reject "Confirmed Spam" (i.e. SuperSpam) instead of doing a silent drop may be enough to get me to switch all by itself (this assumes the Reject function really does do what it should... I'll have to ask Sophos next week).

As to Sophos XG Firewall, the notion that 6GB of RAM and a 4-core CPU is any sort of limit on the home edition worries me. An Untangle with 6GB of RAM and a quad-core Xeon or Core i5 CPU ought to be good for hundreds of users if not more. That is to say, no one would consider 6GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU a "limit" for an untangle firewall aside from the largest installs.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismal View Post
    A other thing about sophos that sucks is to buy a license, you can't do it the way Untangle does buy it online, they kept sending me to resellers that do not respond and the one that responded gave me 200 questions just to give me the pricing I ended up giving up, maybe I gave up to soon cos I was not interested that much
    yes, I found this frustrating too... a few months back I was curious what it would cost to license a basic Sophos UTM install with email filtering, and I couldn't get an answer. Online sales chat wouldn't even give me an idea of the pricing, no retail pricing, nothing, they assured me they'd have a reseller contact me with a quote, and I never heard anything from anybody. I certainly like, even love, that I can just download Untangle and use it with no hassle, and if I want to buy a module or package the pricing is absolutely clear.

The re seller that responded If I remember correctly emailed me the license price was over 1700 Euro per year but he did not speak of users

Master Untangler

Only $1700 euro/yr. That's all? Lol. Perfectly reasonable for home use - right?

(that was sarcasm for those that missed it)

loooooolll according to this re seller just the free version is for home otherwise you buy the normal business license, there is no licenses for home users. He gave me the price list so that I can Install sophos for my clients, Home users do not get price lists, so if you are a home user and need more ips or xg more then 6gb ram and 4 core there is nothing you can do

Untanglit

I was a Untangle fan. Now I'm not - Untangle change subscription (Home) from monthly to annual. Why ? I don't now. No email, no information to client. So i changed my home box firewall to Sophos XG. Configuration is difficult but I did it. And works fine. For free.

I would guess the reason why annual and not monthly is more common sense than anything. I don't know how much the monthly was (maybe $5?) but charging that little each month likely has more credit card fees than one single charge of $50 for the year. Plus the ongoing support of expiring credit cards, failed authorizations, etc. eat into any funds coming in to support the product. $50 for the year is reasonable considering the features provided.

Look to Pandora for the same model. They don't charge $3.99/month. They charge $47.88 for the year.

The home sub was always annual, I never saw a part number for a monthly so I'm confused as to how he managed to do such a thing. Because yeah, you save 10% over monthly when you go annual, so that $50 / year would turn into $55 / year / 12 months = $4.59 / month. I know I don't want to manage umpteen bazillion subscriptions for that per month. What a paperwork nightmare, and all for a subscription that's so low margin the resellers cannot sell it?

No, better to simply do $50 / year and call it done.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Rob. yes there was a monthly option, when buying it defaulted on annual but clicking the drop down you can select monthly as I was buying my subscription I came across it, but it is really not practical just buy the 50/year and forget it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast