Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What’s the best Linux firewall distro of 2017? according to Techradar...

Master Untangler

LOL, that article is ridiculous. Not because I'm an Untangle fanboy (I have quite a number of criticisms of it), but because their entire scoring basis against Untangle was based on price - not what actually worked the best. That is a very flawed testing method for an article titled 'best Linux firewall distro'. And for the record, pfSense is BSD based and thus not Linux, but I digress...

I've ran 3 of the 5 of those products in the last year, and have a very different conclusion than they came up with.

Go look on Sophos' message board, for instance, and you will see a sea of complaints and an XG product that barely works for some people. But that was #1 in the review?

And "Moreover, even with the paid components the distro doesn’t offer anything compelling over the others.". Really? Good luck doing layer 7 content filtering in pfSense...

Tech Radar certainly lost a lot of credibility in my mind...
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 02-21-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Yeah, whomever wrote this obviously doesn't actually secure networks for a living. I've used all of these products in the last year, and I professionally support two of them. The conclusions drawn are infantile at best, but hey... that's what you get with modern "journalism".
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Now if they were writing an article about 'easiest to setup OOB' or something, I would understand some of the comments... Or maybe 'best free Linux firewall' (although then I would have put pfSense top anyway).

Really perplexing. I think they just picked the prettiest one that was easiest to setup. They (per their own words) were very turned off by Untangle's monetary licensing model, which has little to do with which is the best firewall/UTM...

Security Prowess: Untangle 4/5
    Other functions: Untangle 3/5
    Ease of Deployment: Untangle 4/5
    Paid services: Untangle 5/5
    Support and Documentation: Untangle 5/5
    Extensibility and Maintanence: Untangle 5/5
    Management Interface: Untangle 4/5

Overall Score: 2/5
    I'm no mathematician but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Its kinda pointless anyway, as he doesn't define anything about the scoring.
    Its likely just saying that 5/5 means "I love it" and 4/5 means "I like it" etc.
    Theres nothing wrong with that - the number just imply some sort of methodology underneath which doesn't seem to exist.
    There clearly is no methodology for the computation of the overall score.

I'm also not sure if he was testing the free product or the paid.

Interesting article none-the-less.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

The rating, particularly the final, made absolutely no sense.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah, whomever wrote this obviously doesn't actually secure networks for a living. I've used all of these products in the last year, and I professionally support two of them. The conclusions drawn are infantile at best, but hey... that's what you get with modern "journalism".
    I think they just used alternative facts to write their article

Master Untangler

So have the tentacles of post-truth politics extended to linux firewall distros? Or do the folks at Sophos do better lunches? My take is that this is simply an article targeted at home users who just want a commercial grade product that is made available to them completely free of charge... The funny thing is that majority of home users will be too poorly equipped to set up and run any one of these products!

I'm forced to agree, they don't need much support, a 30min phone call with me is sufficient, but home users do need support to deploy a UTM.

Where I disagree with the article is in discounting Untangle because of the price, for home users I've had tremendous luck with Untangle over the years. The new Home package makes that even easier. Sadly, I cannot sell it which means it's harder to get paid for the support required. But I still make it work, because the product runs for years without input.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

The new Untangle Cloud will also make it very much easier to support home users, supposing that they appreciate the value (and therefore cost) of the service that is provided by an Untangle partner...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast