Untanglit

Default Feature Request: Easy parental controls

Hi. I use Untangle at home and need an easy way to set time limits for my teenagers computer and phone times. Right now I'm using a policy just for him to turn off the internet at a specific time each day but but I can't quite figure out how to set different times for different days of the week. And also be able to have a couple hours here and a couple hours there as opposed to just a block of time.
    My router, an ASUS AC-88U which is now just being used an an access point for wireless, had easy to select little time slot boxes for 24 hours a day and the seven days of the week to block or allow access for certain computers.
    It would be nice if Untangle had some easier options for the home version.
    Thanks.

How to set day and/or time of day for policy manager.

time-day-of-week.jpg
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Ah, so I just need to create separate rules for each time frame?
    Ok. Thanks

Yep! exactly.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hi Gitsum,

I have Windows 10 running at home behind my Untangle system. I use Untangle as the internet police to filter out all the nasties that it can. I also use Windows' feature called "Microsoft Family Safety". With that cloud based app, you can restrict your kids from actually USING the computer and xbox, plus put age restrictions on content they surf the web for. Take a look, it's free, and it fits my needs thus far.

- DKR

Yeah it's free, but only works if you use a cloud integrated account, which won't always work when the Internet is out.

With Windows 7 and 8, all you had to do was configure the options you wanted, now M$ wants it in the "cloud". So I ended up abandoning those controls the second time my Internet went out and blew the accounts up.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

An add on feature request related to this would be the ability to block a device from internet access altogether with a click or two. Unless you can do this already, but I just don't know how.