Thread: Thank You

Default Thank You

Seriously Untangle, thank you.

I have production 2003 platforms in service because... reasons. It sucks but they are real.

So to protect these aging platforms I've deployed PFSense routers on my hypervisors to create a bridged bubble, just an ACL set to limit access externally to RDP and from core servers to the workstations cannot hit any of the exposed services. It's not perfect, but it's better than running them naked.

Why did I use PFSense? Because I can fit the thing in 1gb of RAM and 4GB of drive space.

Meanwhile, I lost 6 hours figuring out how no navigate PFSense's nightmare it calls a UI to get the job done. Seriously, the firewall logging is actually WORSE than simply parsing a text file. I would have thought the near decade between the last time I actively used the platform and now would have improved it but nope...

Instead I'm sitting here very much aware of just how spoiled I am by Untangle's UI. Old version or new, doesn't matter, light-years ahead of this PFMess.

If only Untangle would run properly on these old Server 2012 release 1 servers... would have saved me half a day.

PFSense is a lean mean routing/bridging machine... but dang is it a pain to configure!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-17-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks! that means a lot.

They've put a ton of thought and effort into the user interface.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Deployed a similar solution this monday, regret it before the end of the day

PFSense is a lean mean routing/bridging machine... but dang is it a pain to configure!
    It has been a very necessary evil for me....

Master Untangler

Eh, pfsense didn't have a great UI but it (and BSD in general) is incredibly stable, which is nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    Eh, pfsense didn't have a great UI but it (and BSD in general) is incredibly stable, which is nice.

Agreed, it's a powerful platform, and once it's setup and working it runs very fast, a very long time. But man... the logs suck.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

The logging sucks horribly.