Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangle Ninja

Less than $5/month for the full boat is a good deal. Only thing I don't like is the email support. This forum is quicker and better.

If you can't afford that or just wont. Look into using a hosts file to block web sites etc. I did that a few versions ago. Worked better than the lite version. You could set up a cron job to update it automatically.

Or you do this: https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Free Untangles with OpenDNS Home on them are very powerful things. You get Web Monitor AND a free filter.

And you'll note the first actual purchasable option for OpenDNS is $20 / year. So it's almost half the cost of Untangle for JUST CONTENT CONTROL if you want logs to read. But Untangle Free gives you those logs, via Web Monitor...

So thanks Untangle for not charging anyone to make up for the largest shortfall in OpenDNS free home filter.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-05-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

So thanks Untangle for not charging anyone to make up for the largest shortfall in OpenDNS free home filter.
    +1

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Given post number 2, I think it's pretty clear the OP knew about the home sub. He all but demanded the home license be free. Some people are just not happy unless you're giving things away. I guess the Untangle team, and all the upstream vendors that provide technology for Untangle don't need to eat or anything.
    Are you sure about that. Post number 2 said: "$200 for 5 years for the full meal deal is pretty reasonable to me.". If you don't know there is a Home Edition subscription license will that make a lot of sense to you?

And by the way it's not easy to find that out under the "Buy" page on Untangle website. Look at this screen shot. Initially there is no Home Edition version in the product list:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.35.41.png

Only if you select "NG Firewall Complete" and then change the licensed devices to "Home" you will find the Home Edition:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 12.35.57.png

Again if you don't know about it's really hard to find that it exists from here.
    Last edited by anschmid; 07-06-2017 at 03:44 AM.

I think OP is greatly overreacting. I pay for my subscription monthly and I feel like I'm stealing by only paying $5.

Untangler

Thanks (I think...) for (most of) your replies...

anschmid was indeed correct in that I had no idea there was a 'Home' licence package available for $50 a year when I wrote this post. (Very difficult to find even if you know it exists). So if there was some sort of big announcement about this, i missed it.

I'm not against paying for software, and have in the past paid for the SSL inspection module in Untangle. I've still got a strong opinion on how companies choose to build/leverage their relationships with the open source community, but with that said, I've now paid my $50 for a home licence.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by tescophil View Post
    I've still got a strong opinion on how companies choose to build/leverage their relationships with the open source community, but with that said, I've now paid my $50 for a home licence.
    Hip hip.... Hooray!

You'll have much better protection and one less problem to take your time (choosing, learning and configuring a different UTM).
    Last edited by dmor; 07-07-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by tescophil View Post
    I'm not against paying for software, and have in the past paid for the SSL inspection module in Untangle. I've still got a strong opinion on how companies choose to build/leverage their relationships with the open source community, but with that said, I've now paid my $50 for a home licence.
    A reasonable choice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123