Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fox
    Untangler

Question Viewing all open Connections and ports

We miss, or maybe did not find that by now, a possibility to review all open connections and ports. Like per example cports under Windows, it would help us much to understand better what is presently ongoing in our network. Logs show only what is and what was, but no way to see which connections are now from external to internal or reverse established. We are mainly interested in connections and ports that are repeately opend or stay longer as a few minutes established.

Any Idea on that how to do it?

Secondly it would be nice if the Firewall Rules List would be sortable, we do have more as 160 rules in our network (IP, Port) oriented and to clear that up for IP's in the same C or D network , such sorting would very helpful.

Anyway UT is the best of the best, and to stay there as the best, it should grow to the better.
    Any Worst-Case Scenario resolved is better as getting only Best-Case scenarios working.... :cool:

I don't know of a graphical report for open ports, but if you ssh / console in you can run the following command:

netstat -ant

Fox
    Untangler

Default That is not what we need

Thx, this command we know and use, but it needs to be re-run manually each time and is therefor not very handy and not user friendly. Better would be to get sometimes some Rack addition, or any seperate running program, which should automatically and pernamently displays in 2 sec (10 sec) steps per example (like cports) all open connections (like netstat -ant), automatically refresh, and sortable for Established, etc.; Ports, and IPs. Guess that would provide for many network admins valuable information on what its users are doing just now and might help to find those that eat bandwith (or doing tasks not necessary -to formulate it friendly - during work times.
    Any Worst-Case Scenario resolved is better as getting only Best-Case scenarios working.... :cool:

+1

I think this will be a good idea to have a graphical representation to show cients everything is configured properly.

Right raw customers are going to look at a table full of IP's and port numbers and draw the line to "this thing is working?".

</sarcasm>

This sort of thing has been a feature stuffed into the command line interfaces of every router since the beginning of time. I see no benefit to having it available in the GUI. I would rather see the UT team complete their command line interface to smooth over some of the Linux bumps. Make that output easily directed to a windows printer share and you're gold.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Fox
    Untangler

Default Linux is developing or?

Dear sky-knight,

Please allow me to disagree, as Linux started it was a simple commandline OS. Now as time passed by, Linux is as capable as Windows to use graphical GUI elements. See Ubuntu, KDE, Suse and others. Terminal use is limited and it developed from stone-age commandline levels for freaks to User friendly Interfaces that caused the rapid grow of Linux users. Thats why if something works in any terminal fine then it should be for any developers a good reason to put it into any graphical GUI. UT uses graphical GUI elemenst and thats why I do see real no reason why to force clients to return to Terminal elements, especially as usually the clients we convince to use UT are far away from understanding command line outputs.
    As more as events like presently established connections, memory use, hard drive and CPU information etc.; are in fine graphical presentations, as more UT will win paying customers. Or do you thing that the output for Memory use, HD info, Swap and so on is quick understood by any NON-linux programmer??? No, not at all...
    Not the brain knowing that something is needed buys it, but the eyes seeing someting nicely presented telling the brain to buy it and /or to take it on. User friendly system with minimised commandline use was the reason for Ubuntus fast grow. Lets UT grow fast too. Give us the tools to SEE what is ongoing in UT with graphical interfaces (like cports under Vista) and the paying customers will better understand why they need UT. That we understand the need for UT it is not enough.....

Master Untangler

I agree with Fox. UT is great and personally, we could replace many of our customer's WG boxes with UT. This is a strong selling point for Watchguard. We can see every request in real time and have the ability to log every request. You can also use the 'Host watch' application to show all open ip connections in real time. It has them broken down nicely. From the host watch application, you can also simply right click a connection to have it blocked.

Untangler

Default Die Hard 4.0

didn't the hacker dude in the movie Die hard 4.0 have a biggo
    LCD monitor just spewing out connections? i think it was 16:9 screen,
    but in portrait mode.
    now THAT would be cool (or even hock up a projector?) ...

hey even the guys in the matrix had something like that

Fox
    Untangler

Default This is what we need

Thx agit8or,

Yes that is what we need, and I real think it has to be like you formulated it. Hope sincerely that UT will soon catch up with that need. I think that under services a new rack called "Tools" should be created and contain such extra information tools [I am sure that there will be sooner or later a good number of improvment ideas to fill that rack ] with ability to cut any connection if necessary. Hope that more find our ideas and needs useful.

What you are asking for will more than likely be present in the reports module at some point. You guys are getting starry eyed at a feature that doesn't impact the end user. Show the CEO how many spyware infections UT stopped cold... show him how many spam e-mails it marked.. show him how many phishing attempts UT foiled.. these things sell the product. Show him an Ethernetwork session table? His eyes glaze over.

Now live tracking of what an IP or even better, Active directory user account name, is doing on the Internet? That is useful... it isn't the same thing.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast