Default please provide a appliance that looks like this

The picture is the Meraki MX65W

12 Ports
    2 of which are PoE+
    Built in AC wireless
    Slimline

If you could get Untangled on something like this, I would be all over it

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

What is it with the POE build into the router? a $50 8 port switch can do that
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

That's also an $850 device (MSRP is $1245!) that won't really handle many more actual devices than your home router would.

It's there so a small business can buy one device that is a small-office switch, gateway, and router all in one, and for that business it's a good deal if it means they don't have to pay for IT support to set it up.

However, that's not really very economical for a home user, and as soon as the device exists Untangle would get a ton of complaints about over-priced routers. It doesn't really sound like a "win" for them from a business standpoint.

Maybe in a few years, as more and more PoE IoT devices come on the market, there will be demand for this more in the consumer market to the point where it's common to have PoE ports on consumer routers and pricing improves for the OEMs. But we're not there yet.

The IoT market here will be interesting to watch. On the one hand, consumers ignorant about how wifi really works are eager to just wifi all the things. But on the other hand, those devices still need power, and PoE can deliver that power without hiring an electrician while at the same time providing better network performance.

In the meantime, your easiest solution might be to just use injectors like this:

https://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-Inje...dp/B00NRG4AMS/

My ultimate dream for the home market actual centers around a TV, where the cable modem is built into the coax port already there. The TV would also act as your wifi router and cable box (imagine the big antennas you could hide in there), where only one cable provides both internet and TV service. And if you had a modular firmware where the router part of things could be flashed with something like Untangle, that would be just awesome.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 01-31-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Integrated PoE will never find its way into my devices.

Why? Because people are ignorant to how to works and they short out the ports. The returns are brutal. It's best to keep this on a PoE switch because it's far less expensive to repair accidental damage. For my own usage, I use injectors they're simply safer to use and less error prone on install.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

We tried to find a good PoE appliance a few years back. There were very few options and they were much more expensive than they should be and more than the people who wanted the simple all-in-one were willing to pay.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Integrated PoE will never find its way into my devices.

Why? Because people are ignorant to how to works and they short out the ports. The returns are brutal. It's best to keep this on a PoE switch because it's far less expensive to repair accidental damage. For my own usage, I use injectors they're simply safer to use and less error prone on install.

^^This

As soon as you add PoE to an appliance the price jumps beyond ridiculous. I prefer to have everything separated and be able to upgrade without having to break my budget.

Even a home user would face some disadvantages over time.

850 = PoE switch+router+AP+UT Home licence

Untanglit

The Edgerouter PoE do it for $150 on amazon.
    MikroTik have heaps of $50 dollar solutions with 1 or 2 PoE ports.

If you could get Untangled on something like this

but if the goal is to run Untangle on it you need something that can actually run Untangle.

A 500Mhz MIPS wouldn't cut it even if MIPS were supported.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Do you see that junk Tidehunter just linked?

Do you SEE it people?

That piece of excrement is the single greatest cause of interface destruction on the FACE OF THE EARTH.

Go spend some time on Ubiquiti's forums and you'll find countless threads from annoyed people that have fried things with those POE devices. They are junk... they lack electrical safeties, and the blasted book tells you to never enable PoE on a port unless you actually need it, yet they are on by default ready to fry the port on your shiny new x-Series or whatever else you buy. Or you know... the laptop you connect to it for the first time to turn the power off...

No other vendor's PoE have I seen cause such rampant destruction. Sure, it works when the device needs it and is expecting it, but great care must be given or you will cook something. And then you'll call me, and I'll be trying to find a nice political way to tell you what happened without laughing in your face for your foolishness.

Please, take care with PoE.

P.S. Yes I have PoE enabled gear available, yes it's stupidly expensive, yes you can buy a Ubiquiti switch for less money... and yes that switch is easier to replace and support and... well it's just better...

Much like using Ubiquiti WAPs vs integrated wifi... but everyone seems to want that junk in their routers too. So what do I know... I'll just be here waiting to get paid to fix it when it breaks.

Oh, and no, fried ports caused by customer ignorance aren't covered by your warranty.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-31-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast