Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangle Ninja

Thank you for your reply. The part that seems difficult to me and so Iím wondering if Iím following correctly is that it seems to me at root, the request is to be able to generate Untangleís reports from an external data source. If my onboard storage capacity isnít sufficient for the amount of report data I want to collect (for whatever reason), then all report data has to be stored outside the Untangle appliance and all reports have to be generated from that data. The external target could be anything and anywhere. The crux of the matter is using that data for reports so that onboard storage can be conserved. The entire database has to exist in one place and one place only. It canít be imported just long enough to generate reports and then deleted.

So the request is the ability to migrate all data collected for reporting to external storage, wherever and whatever that may be, and generate all reports from that data source. Itís not an export because the source storage is too small. Itís a migration

Am I getting this straight?

That's the way I understand it. If you want to keep the local storage device small, then its retention has to be short. Then you're syncing the data from the database to another database that's being accessed by a special instance of Untangle's report module so you can read it. But reports, isn't just reports anymore, it's been divested into all the individual modules Untangle offers. So Untangle would need to produce a reporting engine that operated independently, probably cloud host the thing, and then charge users for the storage and use of that system. Otherwise, this just wouldn't work, or users are left to build their own reporting engine to interpret the raw data themselves. If users have that capability, it's already possible to get Postgress to sync the DB, access instructions are in the dev section of the Untangle wiki.

So I wonder if people are willing to fork over the monthly cash to do all this, vs just spending a few bucks on an SSD that has enough space. It'll always be cheaper to just buy a drive that works up front and be done with it.

This thread started with basically a whine that the xSeries has drives that are too small. My further response to that is to point out Untangle exists in an ecosystem and there are vendors out there that provide similar hardware with customizable specifications to meet any deployment goal. In short, don't buy a server that doesn't have enough drive space, if you need the drive space.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-07-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This thread started with basically a whine that the xSeries has drives that are too small. My further response to that is to point out Untangle exists in an ecosystem and there are vendors out there that provide similar hardware with customizable specifications to meet any deployment goal. In short, don't buy a server that doesn't have enough drive space, if you need the drive space.
    And if I can add to that sound advice, <vent>it'd be helpful if long time users here would be a bit more cautious/conservative about xSeries suitability. "Oh yeah, a u25x can easily handle your network." As this thread demonstrates, I think that advice can be misleading and shortsighted.</vent>
    JasonJoel likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123