Default Adding storage for logs or pointing to file/folder location

Not sure if this has been asked before. I have u25 and u25x appliances and one thing that would be beneficial would be to have the ability to extend the ssd storage with an externally attached hdd or be able to point to a storage location like a NAS. I could open the box and install a larger ssd but that would void the warranty.

There is no supported way to add external storage.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Although slow, might it be useful to add external db support in future releases? That way UT could use external db as storage while continuing to provide reports...
    Happily untangling the average household: 20-25 active devices, 10 racks, each with 3 - 8 apps, OpenVPN 1 in, IPSec 1 road-warrior, TunnelVPN 3 out, IPS on. Spice it up with VLANs and mix with tons of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    There is no supported way to add external storage.
    I understand, I am asking if this would be considered as a feature request. From a simple perspective, I think you could extend storage logically, much like the Nvidia Shield does with usb storage. I realize this is somewhat apple and oranges, but related. While seeing a short snapshot in time is helpful, reviewing longer trends helps to uncover things that might not otherwise come to the surface.

It's possible to export the data (SQL dump) on the GUI. admin/index.do#service/reports/data . Also by contacting support, they can enable remote database access. This ability does have security risks if not configured correctly.

Personally I would just replace the drive with a larger one but I see your point about the warranty.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 04-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

External DB support is already there to a degree, it requires a filter change and a PostgreSQL configuration change. I know a few people that are using that to export report data to an external database they query for various things. It works pretty well, it's just not "supported" because you need to know what you're doing in there.

Finally, using a UTM as a file storage device seems like a poor fit. The UTM is an access control system, it can't do its job if it's trying to control access to itself. This is why we have hypervisors, if you want a single bit of hardware to do different jobs, you build different containers.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Finally, using a UTM as a file storage device seems like a poor fit. The UTM is an access control system, it can't do its job if it's trying to control access to itself. This is why we have hypervisors, if you want a single bit of hardware to do different jobs, you build different containers.
    I presume OP says he'd like more storage for logs and reportings, not as a file server. That's where the external db comes from.
    Happily untangling the average household: 20-25 active devices, 10 racks, each with 3 - 8 apps, OpenVPN 1 in, IPSec 1 road-warrior, TunnelVPN 3 out, IPS on. Spice it up with VLANs and mix with tons of rules.

If that's the case then image the install to a larger disk?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Again, yes I could image to a larger disc/ssd, but that means opening the appliance and invalidating the warranty. Maybe after the warranty expires, but then Untangle may have a new appliance to migrate to.