Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangler

I'm sorry I didn't ask the question in the exact right way. Thank you for making my job insanely easier, I appreciate Untangle, I'll just open a ticket and ask next time. I still don't understand how my question (if I worded it exactly right) was silly and nonsensical. Cisco's advisory said it affected Busybox and Linux devices (isn't Debian Linux?) and that the avenue of exploit was unknown, but suspected to be known exploits. I understand Untangle isn't a consumer router, which is main focus of infection, it's a security device that gets updated automatically and is ultimately used as a router in many situations. What part of the not definitive exploit targeting internet facing devices running Linux did I have all wrong so that I can ask a better question in the future?

You didn't do anything wrong. It wasn't silly at all. In fact, being cognisant of ongoing security issues is quite the opposite. I was just attempting to explain, clearly poorly, how that didn't make a lot of sense here:
    https://forums.untangle.com/feedback...tml#post226067

"VPNFilter" is not a vulnerability like Heartbleed or Meltdown or pick-your-favorite-high-profile-security-vulnerability. Its really a botnet or a set of tools perhaps depending on how you view it.

My only advice would just be to be explicit in what question you ask.
    On our side it would be much easier to just answer a question similar to or what we think the user should be asking, but thats just not how tech support works. I will restrain myself from using another metaphor
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks for the clarification. I guess my main concern was, yes, it's a botnet, but a botnet has to get installed via an exploit correct? I'm confident, having Untangle, that any known exploits are patched and already remediated in the version I have, which is automatically updated by you guys, making my job easier. The lack of clarity on my part was that Cisco hasn't identified the exploit allowing the botnet to happen, just that they had a high confidence it was not a zero day exploit.

I could have asked it better, sorry. To try to interject some humor, I asked the manufacturer of my car if my particular model of car was affected by the Takata recall, thankfully they understood my poor wording.
    Last edited by sspeed; 05-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.

In the spirit of the group hug, and the following breakdown in laughter (although there are very few here that would appreciate my twisted humor), I have to add my version of the metaphor, (lifted from song lyrics):

Is Untangle affected by the color Nine?

Sorry, I can't get to sleep, so I tried some brandy to help.

Peace,

.ja.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untangler

There was some recent news posted giving some very good details about the various vulnerabilities. It is certainly worth reviewing the untangle design to see if similar issues might exist.

Completely different design than those routers.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123