Default feature request: DNS over TLS

First of all I want to mention that I'm a happy and satisfied customer of NG firewall. Keep up the good work

There is actually one major feature I'm still missing in Untangle and that is DNS over TLS.
    Currently I'm running an extra VM (CentOS 7) with Unbound configured as a recursive caching DNS with a DNS over TLS forward to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).

This takes a lot more resources and creates extra loops since I have to configure the internal DNS-server in my DHCP settings and fill in my internal DNS-server on my external interface as primary and secondary DNS to ensure the DNS queries go trough my internal DNS server.

This setup creates a lot of extra loops and delays and therefor a specific app, like unbound or another way to include DNS over TLS functionality in untangle would solve a lot of these issues.

Is it on the roadmap to include DNS over TLS functionality or would it possible to include it?

Kind regards,
    Z
    donhwyo likes this.

I added the request to Jira. https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-11950
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I added the request to Jira. https://jira.untangle.com/browse/NGFW-11950
    Thank you John!

Untangler

I have been using a pi-hole vm as my local dns since mid April. It uses very little resources and is very quick. It also gives another layer of ad blocking. It requires a workaround for now but will be in the next release officially. There is a debian install script but I am sure it will break Untangle. There are scripts for a few other distros so pick your favorite.

I don't know the license type, but maybe Untangle could use pi-hole as their ad blocker. That would be really cool.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 07-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    bluechris likes this.