wef

Default Report enhancements

We are currently evaluating untangle with a view to replacing our watchgaurd firewall. So far we think its great. One thing we want to
    do is monitor our traffic to find out who the big users are and what
    they are doing. The reports are good but the user details only provides
    information based on hits which is proving to be less than useful.
    It would be nice if we could see the users traffic based on volume and site.

Can we modify the reports ourselves?

wef, great idea!

You can modify the reports if you spend the time (its open source), but the database schema and reporting methods are fairly complex.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Where would one start?

psql -U postgres uvm
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Ok, that's great for the database, but when you say "it's open source", I assume you mean the CODE that is used in the reports. Where is THAT? Thanks.

Untangle Ninja

No meaning to sound like a ass.

But Untangle in it self is OpenSource.
    You can fin the sourcecode at:
    http://www.untangle.com/Developers/Source-Tarballs
    http://www.untangle.com/Developers/Subversion

But i would wait and see what changes Untangles Dev Team have done in the 6.3 release.

Untanglit

WebFool,
    Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. I am aware that Untangle is open source...heck, dmorris just mentioned it above. What I think that many linux-experienced folks on this forum are NOT aware of is the breadth of the types of users of Untangle that there are, AND what their Linux experience level is (and is not).

Personally, I cut my teeth on IBM mainframes where I did programming and database administration for quite a while. Then, on to some web-oriented things, but primarily in a Windows environment. Now, finally, system/network administration in a Windows world with Linux servers. This last one is in a private school where I'm volunteering my time and am the sole IT guy. ALL my Linux and network experience is self-taught...reading books and searching the internet.

I can find my way around a fair amount of systems now, but a raw Linux command line + a rather "closed", if very well-done, web interface (what Untangle gives you) do NOT give me much to go on with respect to finding where to modify something. I've installed mc and webmin to on Untangle because I simply don't have the time to become a command-line junkie (AGAIN...different OS, different commands, etc.) to find my way around.

So, when I'm asking for where to start, I guess I'm asking for a directory path of where to find the report programs so that I can start to look at them and try some modifications.

Not trying to dump on you...just expressing my frustration at how often one must ask what I think is a simple question to get an answer that really allows me to move forward. I've found a LOT of help in these forums, but also a fair amount of frustration. Thank you for your helpfulness.

Untanglit

hello?

so is it all in /usr/share/untangle somewhere? I saw some reference to Jasper Reports. Is it all done in that? Is there any documentation to the postgres schema?

throw us bone, eh?

I really think that the untangle team have severe issues with getting the reporting system working reliably in any event. I would agree to hold off untill 6.3, as i suspect the reporting system could be completely overhauled. We havent had PDF reports working for awhile, as alot of other users aswell. my thoughts anyway

Untanglit

Ok...thanks.