Untanglit

Default aliases, please!!

I would love to see aliases and groups implemented in Untangle. Every other firewall I've used has some form of this and it saves a lot of time and hassle, especially as a setup gets more complex.

One Untangle client is doing serious network updating so server IPs are changing. This means manually searching through piles of port forwards and rules and manually changing each and every instance. If Untangle had aliases, we'd just have to go to one place and chance, eg, mailserver1 from 10.10.1.10 to 10.10.2.10.

Similar thing with groups. We'd have an SMTP-Servers group and when we added a couple new edge servers and retired four, it'd be as easy as removing four entries from the group and adding two new ones. Instead, we've got to comb through all the various places there could be a forward, NAT, rule, exception, etc.
    bluechris and miles267 like this.

Master Untangler

Did you create a feature request? https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...ll_list_cutoff

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Didn't know it was a thing. Added.

I actually lost a potential sale this week thanks to this... MSPs do not want to waste time remembering small details. They want to be able to define an IP address or list thereof as a variable, and reference that object in other rules. It's a way to make your configuration very hard to read, but it's also a way to save a bucket of time and reduce error.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I wouldn't use Untangle in my business environment because of that...

It is painful enough in my home install not having aliases, knowing how many rules and rule sets we use at work this is a non-starter there.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I wouldn't use Untangle in my business environment because of that...

It is painful enough in my home install not having aliases, knowing how many rules and rule sets we use at work this is a non-starter there.
    I can absolutely say it has caused me to recommend other solutions to clients when I otherwise would have recommended Untangle.

Untanglit

Master Untangler

I'd also love to see aliases and groups...especially groups for me.

pfSense and OpnSense have a huge advantage supporting this when Untangle doesn't. I came >< to going with one of them over Untangle for that feature alone and I am just a home user.

You can already do this in some places via tags.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.1.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

This would be useful.