Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Rather disappointed in "Live Support" during my trial period...CLARIFICATION RECEIVED

ETA: Clarification received and sorry for being a whiner!!!

I have already paid for a 5 year subscription to HomePro.

I had contemplated paying for "Live Support" as well but I sent an e-mail off with a question early Friday morning with no response yet.

Is there a better method of contact to actually get "Live Support" or why would I want to pay $215/yr plus for it when I've gotten better support from the forum that is operated by volunteers?
    Last edited by jlficken; 01-15-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Support emails from those without support license are answers once the paid queue is empty. On some days, the paid queue is the only tickets resolved.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

So basically even though it is labeled as a trial it's really no differently than if I was using the free version of Untangle and just sent in an e-mail?

If so that's fine I guess I just falsely ASSumed that all of the trials were treated as if they were paid subscriptions during the trial period including Live Support.

themoreyouknow.jpg

What is the average turnaround with a paid subscription?

Trials do not have support no, nor does HomePro. That's what the full licenses are for honestly, and they are vastly more expensive for a reason. They will get to your ticket, eventually. As for the turnaround on the paid sub, it depends on what's going on. For myself, ticket times tend to be long because if I'm opening a ticket with Untangle, something... be... busted... like we got a bug level busted. Or, I'm just being brain dead that day, for those I call support and get things sorted inside a half hour. It all just depends.

What is going on? Have you started a thread here? The forums might be able to help.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Yeah it was my mistake in thinking that since the Live Support app was installed with "Free trial. Expires in X days." above it that support was also included for the 14 days of the trial.

It's fine and I understand why support isn't offered without the subscription otherwise.

I really, really like Untangle and I'm happy that they offer a Home license as there's no way I could justify getting a license otherwise. I'm not trying to come off as a whiner either I was just confused as to why I wasn't getting a response when it had been awhile.

I was just asking them what the order is as far as apps go.

My situation is that I have a firewall rule to prevent all incoming traffic from any country besides the US, however, Intrusion Prevision is still being hit 4000+ times per day from addresses outside of the US. I was just wondering if IPS blocks it before getting to the firewall or how that worked exactly.

I VPN'd into Switzerland and tried to access my camera system and that was blocked by the firewall so I'm thinking that IPS must get first chance at blocking and then anything that passes IPS goes on to the firewall?
    Last edited by jlficken; 01-15-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Ahh... that's actually a good question and one that doesn't have a clear answer. Untangle uses a proprietary technology called virtual pipe-lining within the rack. I don't know how it works, but what I can tell you is that all rack applications manage traffic in parallel. Now, IPS is a system app, whereas the firewall is a rack app, so it's possible the system apps see things a bit sooner than the rack apps do because there's some extra decision making between, but that behavior won't be consistent.

This may seem a bit crazy, but if you think about how the virtual rack system works, and how many combinations of settings it can churn through in nanoseconds, it's pretty powerful stuff. So yes, what you're seeing is normal. Each application is a separate server processing things in its own way, the combination of their effects is how Untangle works its magic. No other product works like this.

So short answer, there is no order. But if any module blocks it, it doesn't work.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the well written explanation!!

That actually makes sense to me and makes my head hurt at the same time

I've written a lot of multi-threaded apps but the speed at which they process packets and rules is impressive. I'd love to see the code for it

I just wanted to make sure it was working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    Y

My situation is that I have a firewall rule to prevent all incoming traffic from any country besides the US, however, Intrusion Prevision is still being hit 4000+ times per day from addresses outside of the US. I was just wondering if IPS blocks it before getting to the firewall or how that worked exactly.
    Yes, IPS is first, before everything, even NAT - watch the IPS webinar for a deeper explanation.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

The support you get here on these forums is far better than any "live" support you'll get from just about any tech company. If you can catch sky-night on here, your troubles are over. The guy is a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    The support you get here on these forums is far better than any "live" support you'll get from just about any tech company. If you can catch sky-night on here, your troubles are over. The guy is a genius.
    Oh good heavens don't do that... there isn't a piece of wood large enough on the planet to knock on to correct for that!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast