Default Web filter default block page

As a home user, I'd like to see two things added to the default block page,

1. Clickable link to Suggest a new Category. This would save me a few clicks when I run into those instances.

2. Contact the administrator clickable link (email?) I tell the family to text me if they come across the block for legit stuff but a self generating email with proper info like the URL being accessed, would again make my admin tasks easier. Especially since is spend 1/3 or more of my time on the road and have college kids home for the summer taking summer classes online.

Convo 1 (the kid)

Kid: Dad, this website for my government class is blocked or something.

Me: Ok, what's the URL

Kid: IDK, I just click the link in the assignment

Me: Just clicking links is how you get compromised, viruses, cryptolocker!

Kid: Do you WANT me to fail this class (string of mad face emoji)

Me: Ok, I have to go look through logs and the reports to find the actual URL.

Kid: Uggggg U R such a nerd and I'm going to fail school and life (long string cry face emojis)

5 min later

Me: Ok, it should work now, test and let me know

5 min later
    'Me: Well?? did it work?

Kid: I'm at the coffee shop now with Emily so ya, IDK.

Convo 2 (wifey)

Wifey: Honey, I'm trying to shop for dog clothes online but I think you filter thingy is blocking me

Me: What site is it?

Wifey: I don't know, it was a link someone posted in one of my groups

Me: What have I said about randomly clicking links, even ones that have cute names or doggy pictures?

Wifey: I know but I really think Ziggy would be cute in this little sweater, I'm sending a screen shot

Wifey: *SCREENSHOT OF A DOG SWEATER POSTED ON FACEBOOK*

Me: Sweetie, I'm at work now and if you want me to unblock something, I need to know what it is you want unblocked.

Wifey: Sorry to bother you at work. We can talk about it later

20 mins later

Wifey: *SCREEN SHOT OF BLOCK PAGE* (at least this gives me the URL)

1hr later after vetting the URL and site between my IRL job

Me: I unblocked that page for you

Wife: What?

the email is clickable if you fill out the information in branding manager.
    it prefills the email with the relevant info.

also, to find which sites were blocked you can just go here:
    http://demo.untangle.com/admin/index...ked-web-events
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    the email is clickable if you fill out the information in branding manager.
    it prefills the email with the relevant info.
    I'm a home user so, I did not install the Branding Manager since it wasn't included in license.
    Can I install it and use the email function without having to pay the license fees?

Untanglit

Don't you have to pay additional for Branding Manager?

Home Pro does not include Branding Manager, Virus Blocker or Live Support

https://www.untangle.com/shop/ng-firewall-homepro/
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Home Pro does not include Branding Manager, Virus Blocker or Live Support
    So, this take me back to my original request to add those features to the "Default" block page.
    No need to re brand the page, just add some additional functionality to assist in the Admin duties of Home users.
    mtarbox likes this.

This is the nature of web filtration, I've been through the same process. The "you are such a nerd" response doesn't fly in this house, my children are expected to know what they are doing and when. The same hold true of my wife, she gets the same standards.

But, it seems you have a fight on that front... my wife and I have survived repeated, and devastating identity theft events, as non-tech as she is, she knows there isn't another option.

You do have policy manager, which means you can easily forward different devices into different policy sets. Perhaps your wife should have access to a rule set that only prevents malware? As for teenagers... well they're just a problem no matter what tech you throw at them.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Wow, you guys have it easy in the home.

One client, the owner of a small company, has temper tantrums when elements of web pages don't show because of blocks. Now, before those of you on the high horse start lecturing about how to run a company, you know who you are, this guy, like Trump and our dysfunctional congress, holds the purse strings, the purse strings that pay for the web filtering and they have no time or tolerance for web etiquette education or developers who don't understand what's behind that paycheck they receive.

So, if the admin ui made it very easy to id and adjust rules not only for home user admins but also for small biz admins, that would be a wonderful thing and ensure continued subscriptions.

It does? You filter by the station's name, IP address, or username if you have directory connector running.

I'm not sure how it can be any easier than that because the browser itself makes a bucket of connections at once to build a "page", and all the filter sees is that resulting deluge. Literally the browser itself is the only thing that sees it the way the user does. So if the user cannot report to you what site is having the issue, you're almost SOL. Stuck going through each block one at a time and testing yourself until you find a block that might be the right one.

And there is no way to know magically what blocked page sends someone up the tubes...

Unless the block page has a flag button on it that give the user the ability to generate an admin alert? That might be a handy feature...

P.S. I simply don't work for people like that, I've got enough stress in my day. The literal purpose of content control is to prevent damaging content from getting to users. If the user cannot handle that filtration, then you don't filter them... And you bill them for the inevitable explosion. My users while they can be whiny, are pretty good at simply emailing me a screen shot of the issue.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-21-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    donhwyo likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

lol @skynight