Default Malware using SSL protected DNS in the wild

https://www.zdnet.com/article/first-...ttps-protocol/

DOH runs over TCP 443 just like the rest of HTTPs.
    DOT runs over TCP 853.

Which means the bad guys can bypass DNS reputation checks on current security systems by simply using either of these protocols.

The ability to do a reputation based firewall rule off the new web filter engine cannot come fast enough.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untanglit

DOT should be simple to block. Just disable outbound port 853.

DOH, on the other hand, is another stupid protocol that is gonna be a disaster from a security perspective.

Did anyone figured out how to block DNS-over-HTTPS using the SSL Inspector? There are some known DoH resolver lists available, but if an attacker runs his own DoH Resolver than the blacklist is useless. And to make it more annoying, some devices that can't have custom certificates installed, that need to be bypassed, will just end up blocked/disconnected.

I would love any input on this if possible. Thanks!

Untangle's Web Filter doesn't rely on a DNS session to be filtered. And you don't have to break into the SSL stream to filter either. There are three options at the top of Web Filter's advanced tab at play here. And while the solution isn't perfect, it does actually work.

So bypassing Untangle's DNS structure isn't going to get you around the filters.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Thanks for the reply!

When you say the advanced tab, the only options available are these:
    2019-07-22 14_15_21-Window.png

The problem is that this is not enough to block DNS-over-HTTPS, AFAIK the Web Filter would need a rule to look at the "HTTP Hostname" part of the URLs, for example:
    2019-07-22 14_17_59-Window.png

This rule catches DNS-over-HTTPS requests for "dns.google" for example, but what I really don't think we can mitigate is when the URL for the requests is inside the URL, for example: google.com/dns. In this case, if an attacker or some service doesn't clearly use *dns* at the domain we wouldn't be able to see the request.

I never said it would block DNS over HTTPs, nor would I even recommend you attempt to do so. I said that the Web Filter works even if the DNS is being resolved elsewhere. It doesn't care about DNS, it uses DNS, but it cares about TCP 80 and TCP 443 sessions. And if it can't get into the SSL via SSL inspector, it behaves based on those top three boxes. Which means traffic is still categorized, and managed.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Thanks for the input, I understand that Web Filter only cares about TCP 80,443 and without the SSL Inspector, it can only verify the domain. I guess that for what I'm trying to do, having control over DNS-over-HTTPS, I'll end up having to MITM devices unfortunately.

Domain information is only available if SNI is given by the application (most modern browsers) but it is not mandatory. There are several applications which intentionally do not give SNI info. You are more likely to be successful in blocking this by using the Application Control rule "Block all TCP port 443 traffic that not HTTPS.". Beware this is not without some pain.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    some pain
    And with that, we have my nomination for understatement of the year.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty