Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We wish for the same thing, and I've actually tried many times to create it.

I assumed it would have to be a web site because it must evolve with the product. Heck, it needs the ability to fork so you can go back and look at old versions.

It's a dedicated git project... and the more versions it tracks the harder it is to use and we're right back where we started!
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The joys of being a 1 man shop! +1

And Jim, isn't that what Off Topic is for? But yeah, it is a bit buried. That's why I've always wondered why Untangle's Facebook feed doesn't see more attention, it's a far more friendly place for such a quick question to be had.
    off-topic, yes - for things that are NOT Untangle!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    off-topic, yes - for things that are NOT Untangle!
    I've always viewed off topic forums as places for things when you don't know where to put them.

Usually forums have a "general" forum, but if this one had one I don't recall it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

<offtopic>
    Well, so much for robotic dairy farms and security. Just today, from a local farmer:

The company that operates the computers for the cow milking robot system got ransomware attacked. Every farm everywhere that has that company's system is affected. All the cows that were already in the system before the attack can still get milked, but new cows coming in can't.
    The cloud is such a safe place for businesses.
    </offtopic>
    Jim.Alles likes this.

The cloud has nothing to do with ransomware though...

That's 100% user clicking on dumb things. Even a properly secured network falls down to that threat, that's why the bad guys use it.

All you can really do is have a good backup, and even those aren't good enough sometimes.

Now, if you run your business in Azure, there are built in detection systems for ransomware, and it's basically a single click revert. So all you have to do is clear the box that did the deed, and revert the files. The cloud is how you fight ransomware, not how you get it.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The cloud has nothing to do with ransomware though...
    I was just pointing out that the farmers are not managing their own robot systems from this company locally. They are managed in the cloud. Their robotic systems are only as safe as the system in the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    I was just pointing out that the farmers are not managing their own robot systems from this company locally. They are managed in the cloud. Their robotic systems are only as safe as the system in the cloud.
    Which isn't safe if the owners don't understand how they work... I'd love to help them, but the last time I tried to support a farmer it didn't end well. That guy was more cheap than my worst residential clients.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

I'm not communicating very well. Nobody can help the farmers because they have nothing to do with the infected systems, wherever they are. The farmers are at the mercy of the company whose systems were taken out of service by ransomware, they company that deploys the robots. The farmers did nothing to cause this and can do nothing to fix this but wait for the company to bring its systems back on line. The company screwed up; the cloud-based management of the robots wherever they've been installed failed the farmers through no fault of theirs.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 02-12-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Ahh... ok so you're saying the equipment in question is a HaaS thing... (Hardware as a Service)

In these cases, the farmer should be paying some monthly rate to "rent" the capacity in question. The resolution to those system going down is to not pay the bill. There should also be an SLA agreement in place where the vendor compensates the farmer for lost productivity...

Generally speaking running things as a service is better for the consumer of the service because they can just stop paying when crap doesn't work, and in theory can swap to another vendor when track records suck. In practice... there may not be another vendor.

But if that organization in question lost junk to ransomware, and it took them more than 4 hours to restore service someone isn't doing their jobs... Azure has built in backups that can restore systems back in time before failure in MINUTES... not hours... not days... not weeks... MINUTES. With templates they can redeploy the entire platform with an empty dataset in SECONDS!

So if that junk is offline for any real time, they don't deserve the business. Because I can do that quick restore for any SMB that comes in my door. If they can't pull that off with enterprise level budgets... someone, perhaps many someones need fired... immediately.
    f1assistance likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Service is supposed to be back to normal tomorrow.

My point really was just to note the irony of the situation. I had earlier just mentioned robotic dairy farms as an example of an SMB where vendors and their customers might fold security into the overall tech deployment, giving dairy farmers (and similar SMBs) a sort of leg up on security. Boy, was I wrong in the case of this particular vendor at least.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast