Untanglit

Default SD-WAN Router vs Meraki Go

Big fan of Untangle here(home license), with regards to SD-WAN Router, will you offer a home subscription like you do with regular Untangle?

I recently stumbled upon Meraki Go and noticed its similar to SD-WAN Router, looking at their Security Gateway($134), they offer most of the services a home user would want for free, it even comes with 1 x PoE 802.3af which is something I asked here last year if you would consider having units enabled with 1 or 2 PoE ports.

Back when I first started looking at USG's, Meraki and various other solutions were not feasible for home users, which is what made using a Untangle home license a great proposition.

You failed to mention the additional Security subscription for $120/year. Otherwise there is no updates.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

Look at this thread.

https://forums.untangle.com/general/...ter-1-1-a.html

You can run it on a few routers with your home licence. Not sure how much bandwidth they can handle though.

This should also be in an sd-wan forum.

https://forums.untangle.com/untangle-sd-wan-router/

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin
    You failed to mention
    Didn't "fail" anything, the subscription is "optional", see:

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin
    Otherwise there is no updates.
    So SD-WAN is happy charging $800/year vs $120/year(optional)?
    I just wanted to put the feedback out there so you're aware of the competition.
    Last edited by tidehunter; 02-16-2020 at 05:55 PM.

This "comparison" is false to start with.

First, as an MSP owner that's actually used the real Meraki, can state emphatically, Untangle is the superior platform. Meraki ticks boxes, while eliminating critical functionality in the name of ease, and locks everything behind an extortion payment. The platform is a joke, it makes sense only for organizations that have more money than sense when held up next to its competition. And to be clear, I'm not just talking about Untangle here... I'm talking about Datto, Sonicwall, Ubiqity, and Mikrotik here...

But more to the point SD-WAN router flat doesn't do any of this. SD-WAN is a VPN terminator... little more. You can't run HomePro on an junk ARM device... Those platforms will never get Untangle NG Firewall because they simply lack the resources to do that kind of work. The best you can do is Azure host the real thing, while you use SD-WAN to connect to it. The costs attached to all of this are well beyond the home market.

So this is as Apples to Oranges as you can get. If you're OK forking over $140 for the equivalent of a Linksys router, and then stupid enough to fork over for the subscription, and then think you're getting an actual UTM... you need help. I suggest looking into a local mental health institution. I see nothing that Meraki Go does, that cannot also be accomplished with a typical home router, and an OpenDNS Home sub... which is free. Buying this thing is equivalent to purchasing an Apple networking product... silly... pricey... but pretty?

This is a product that makes sense only for the mental midgets starting their IT career in a Meraki shop, and thereby never learning how routers and switches actually work. But, I have no doubt it'll sell like hotcakes because everyone just loves Cisco!

But if you're going to come here to point out what the competition does... at least bring something that actually competes. SD-WAN isn't competing here, though I suppose if you were to compare the Meraki ecosystem to Untangle's... yeah Untangle loses. But if you compare the Meraki ecosystem to Untangle + Ubiquity... the game changes. And in terms of capability, visibility, and cost... the latter wins. The former only sells because of name, and this ever insane mantra of "no one ever got fired for buying Cisco"... well I've spent a career removing Cisco from the places I support... and Meraki has given me nothing to convince me to change that habit.

Yet sadly, Nexgen is suffering because subs bleed off in favor of this mess... and there's little I can do about it. Large companies love Meraki because they can have 1 or 2 people with brains, while monkeys run around doing the install work. And in that world... Meraki is devastatingly good. I just can't figure out why you'd want to take it home with you.

This product line does however illustrate the existential threat Cisco provides to Untangle, and the rest of the non-Cisco world in networking. We need disposable end points that can access cloud based protective systems to hit this price point.

But yet doing so means taking away the integrity of the individual networks that use the technology... in short, this reality is ideologically impossible to support for anyone that actually cares about little things such as freedom, privacy, and autonomy. The market very obviously doesn't care about these things... so while I'll be the dinosaur, I'll happily march to extinction rather than jump on this train. My children's future will not be tied to Cisco, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, or any of the rest... not if I can help it.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-16-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    CMcNaughton, tcurtis and hpaunet like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight
    you need help. I suggest looking into a local mental health institution.
    shots fired, nice attack there, i'd reply to some of your logical points here, but no point
    Last edited by tidehunter; 02-16-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tidehunter View Post
    Didn't "fail" anything, the subscription is "optional", see:
    So SD-WAN is happy charging $800/year vs $120/year(optional)?
    A closer comparison is the NGFW home license $50/year vs Meraki Go $120/year. Or the NGFW free edition vs the $136 Meraki unit.
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by tidehunter View Post
    shots fired, nice attack there, i'd reply to some of your logical points here, but no point
    Shots indeed fired, but less so at you and more at the market. My intentions however get horribly murky in a text based format.

So do infer hostility, because that's very much there. But I'm not meaning to direct said hostility at you. I'm directing it at the misinformed individual that thinks this junk is actually useful. If you fall into that category, then I suppose that hostility is directed at you. But the fact that you're here asking questions also largely removes you from that category. You're here asking questions, therefore, you aren't brainless. The market however... is quite brainless. A reality that frustrates me to no end, and generates the negativity in that post.
    CMcNaughton and tcurtis like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com