Default Alert Email Processing

I had to assist a local web developer with a client's website today, because the new eCommerce solution deployed wasn't able to mail people reliably.

Wordpress based platform, using the paid version of this plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

I'm putting it here because it uses the most modern form of integration with O365 I've ever seen. The process is documented here: https://wpmailsmtp.com/docs/how-to-s...-wp-mail-smtp/

The application relies on an Azure Web App Registration. This links the WordPress instance with a specific Exchange mailbox, via a use once single auth token that's independent of the actual mailbox's login and password. It further complicates things by having a login that's a GUID instead of a username. The two tokens aren't MFA, but they are stupidly hard to guess or brute force. You also cannot get the password again from the UI once it's off the screen.

If Untangle could take advantage of a similar engine to authorize report mails, it would greatly simplify the process of moving around the data we have. That being said what we have know isn't bad, but my current solutions rely on SPF record manipulation and direct send, this isn't possible without a static IP address.

Are there any plans to integrate Untangle reporting with modern mail mechanisms? O365, AWS, and Google support along these lines will become a requirement at some point. Heck, just SendGrid integration would be nice too, a free account goes a long way... but I have to admit I'm really loving this Azure hook, because it means I can hit up https://protection.office.com and run a report and see everything that passed through the mailbox assigned. I KNOW orders are flowing, there's no doubt and I can see each and every email generated in a simple report. I'd love to be able to do the same for my Untangle Report mails.

Authenticated SMTP is great after all, but losing ground.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I just use AWS SES. You can use ports 465 or 25 or 587 so it works with even residential Internet.

https://aws.amazon.com/ses/
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

$.10 / email is cheap enough, but $25/month for an IP address so you don't run into spam filter problems is a ton more expensive than a $4 / month Exchange Online Plan 1 subscription and an Azure Web App bolted to it.

Though I suppose if you dedicated a domain to it... Not a bad idea for some installs certainly.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    $.10 / email is cheap enough,
    $0 for the first 62,000 emails you send each month, and $0.10 for every 1,000 emails you send after that. That is a lot of alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    $0 for the first 62,000 emails you send each month, and $0.10 for every 1,000 emails you send after that. That is a lot of alerts.
    That's great! But it's still not as sure as an API key access token... we're still stuck using single factor SMTP auth. But that seems to be a limitation of Exim4 given my cursory glances this afternoon... I'll do some more digging when time permits.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That's great! But it's still not as sure as an API key access token... we're still stuck using single factor SMTP auth. But that seems to be a limitation of Exim4 given my cursory glances this afternoon...
    AWS SES works with SMTPS Auth which is supported by the the Untangle GUI. The one requirement is that you control the DNS for the domain.