Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Why is the UI so dated on Untangle?

I'm testing Untangle at the moment and while I really like the functionality, why does the admin CP look like it was designed for 1990s web? I mean, compare it to Sophos or UniFi and you can see. Yes, I understand that functionality is more important, but a nice modern design on top won't take anything away.

Untangler

You'll get used to it... I was running Sophos XG and I have some Ubiquiti gear on the other side, so yeah... they look prettier - but you pay for that cosmetic stuff one way or another. Like you said - functionality is more important.

And if you'd like Untangle to put more focus onto the look of the CP etc, then you can also make the suggestion and others can vote for it if they think so too - if it gets enough votes, perhaps it will happen. While you're at it, take a look at some of the other suggestions and vote for any of those you'd like too. https://untanglengfirewall.featureupvote.com/

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    You'll get used to it... I was running Sophos XG and I have some Ubiquiti gear on the other side, so yeah... they look prettier - but you pay for that cosmetic stuff one way or another. Like you said - functionality is more important.

And if you'd like Untangle to put more focus onto the look of the CP etc, then you can also make the suggestion and others can vote for it if they think so too - if it gets enough votes, perhaps it will happen. While you're at it, take a look at some of the other suggestions and vote for any of those you'd like too. https://untanglengfirewall.featureupvote.com/
    Ubiquiti is all show and no go.. Interface is nice, what is underneath is pretty rubbish. Particularly their edge devices. You also have to run some beta/RC version to get things vaguely near what was on the product spec sheet.

Agree otherwise
    agent_kith likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    Ubiquiti is all show and no go.. Interface is nice, what is underneath is pretty rubbish.
    Yeah, I wouldn't go to Ubiquiti for switching/routing, but I've found their APs to be pretty reasonable in both price and performance in home/small business settings. Do you have any tips for gear at a similar price (new not used that is) that has the same sort of features (ie multiple SSID on an AP etc). If there are alternatives worth looking at, it's good to know.

Untangler

Tough one that when doing a like for like comparison. I'm to the point of looking at used Rukus APs, but I haven't fully investigated yet.

I'm in the same boat and will let you know if I come up with stuff. Being in the UK I bought a UDM-PRO for circa 304 in March, they're now well north of that so the lovely exchange rate is also a challenge..

Untangler

I'm to the point of looking at used Rukus APs, but I haven't fully investigated yet.
    I had a look at those, but didn't really find anything I could get at a suitable price. Same goes for Cisco APs; even used, there wasn't anything (at the time I was putting my network together) that would do 802.11ac in a standalone config that wasn't pricey.

Ubiquiti is all show and no go.. Interface is nice, what is underneath is pretty rubbish. Particularly their edge devices. You also have to run some beta/RC version to get things vaguely near what was on the product spec sheet.

Agree otherwise
    I use Untangle at the edge, their layer 2 devices without POE, and their WAPs in many places, stuff just works. But yeah as soon as you get layer 3 involved... just gets weird. So I stay away.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ajaffarali View Post
    ...but a nice modern design on top won't take anything away.
    Without flatly disagreeing with your point (except to say that I don't remember seeing or building anything as nice as the Untangle GUI in the 90s ), I personally think "modern design" can sacrifice client compatibility for eye candy. For me, modern design should begin with being client agnostic within reason (anything up to date or still supported). If that's not happening, something is in fact taken away from the admin's experience.

I mention that not as a hypothetical but as from disappointing experience.
    f1assistance likes this.

I'm not a fan of "modern" UI design either. Too flat, too many places where you find features by accident.

One of Untangle's primary benefits is the nature of the product teaches the admin to be a better admin. Modern UI design methods would destroy this feedback loop.

The rest is just personal preference. Untangle is technically skinable... so if you don't like the UI... you can changes it.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Too flat, too many places where you find features by accident.
    Good point. I'm a big fan of the modern aesthetics and design of the Crew Dragon, but I do wonder where "SCE to AUX" might be hidden...

(The above is merely a metaphor, for those baffled by what I wrote.)
    f1assistance likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast