Untanglit

Default First Install Report

Hi,

just installed untangle 5.0.2 on a brand new home sever based on the VIA CN700 chipset.

There are a couple of things I'd like to point out. The kernel is very "old" it does not have the driver built in for the LAN hardware: Realtek RTL8110SC. A bit of googling indicates this went in to the mainstream kernel around January this year. (2.6.19...?)

Secondly, you might want to add some further options to the installer. Two things I would personally like to see are:

1, Keyboard Country Layout selector (I'm in the UK and the @ is NOT above the "2" it's above the "'".

2, I installed on a virgin disk and wanted to do some partitioning. An option to use a partitioner would be nice too.

Other than the fact it can't find the LAN hardware the install went fine... ;-) Of course I can't get very far from this box now as I can't get to the LAN... (I am going to build an LFS base system on this box and then build the untangle source on top. Back in a few days...

Cheers

Alan
    The way out is open!
    http://www.theopensourcerer.com

The @ is not above the 2?! seriously? That sounds like something people driving on the left side of the road would do :P

We working on support newer (and multiple) kernels in the 5.1 release.
    The patches are in subversion if you dare apply them yourself, but newer version would require some porting (and newer than 2.6.19 requires one user space change which is why we're doing it in 5.1)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I'm trying to port Untangle to to a customised "LFS" build. See my other posts for more info. I'm strapped for time this weekend but hopefully I'll be getting somewhere next week. (The build scripts have some "hard coding" problems for env vars....

But nothing that looks too serious :-)

Alan
    The way out is open!
    http://www.theopensourcerer.com

I'm afraid, the situation is not as easy as you might expect....

When using foreign keyboard layouts, in my case using a german keyboard on the console and enter a strong password with special characters the password doesn't match the one you'll enter from remote access, where keymap and keyboard layout are set correctly

From that point of view I totally agree with lord_alan: There should be the possibility of setting a keyboard layout during installation.

Thanks in advance for your great product.

With regards

Rainy
    Last edited by rainy; 11-04-2007 at 02:38 PM.