Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Xolo I didn't say I agreed with it I'm just regurgitating what is in the Exchange 2007 documentation. No legacy mail client support will be in the next version of Exchange. You will use Outlook, Entourage, or OWA for everything. This new version is also supposed to have OWA redone with a silverlight based interface that will run in Firefox. So there is your cross platform...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I didn't say you were, just voicing my tuppence because i'm a heavy IMAP user myself
    I will however take those decisions MS made into serious consideration, as I am looking at a full location migration at the end of the year.
    Our Current Platform [INACTIVE Until further notice - finally in a new building!]
    ---------------------------------
    Intel Desktop Board type D865GVHZ + Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT, 2GB Dual-channel RAM, 40GB HDD, 3x3Com 309x 10/100 PCI, 3Mbit 4 to 1 Business Cable, roughly 500 users and 220 machines and growing.
    ---------------------------------
    Please make use of the Untangle Bugzilla to vote for and report issues/requests!!

For your reference I got my information on the "next Exchange" from a book titled Exchange 2007 Unleashed. It isn't Microsoft published but I trust both the publisher and the authors. This magic orange manual has saved my sorry arse more than once already on this new version of Exchange.

I would like to see some confirmation from Microsoft but the feature list for the next version isn't final yet. So take a long look at that info when it pops up.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Yeah... Though Microsoft promised they would do away with public folders in 2007 too. We all know how well that went.

Ow yeah, and with Exchange 5.5 to 2000 we lost managing email and users from System Manager and started managing them in ADUC. This continued with Exchange 2003. Now with 2007, you are back to managing users and such from EMC or Powershell.

Microsoft seems to be doing the full circle with Exchange. Not sure where they are going with it. Though, it's still the best corporate email platform available.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Perhaps now I should point out that the pop3 and imap connectors are considered depreciated and will not be present in the next version of Exchange?
    True, but many companies don't use Exchange, and most of the small businesses I do work for don't plan on upgrading to Exchange 2007 anyway. Plus, many companies are tired of Microsoft's continual upgrade and purchase new client licenses circle of perpetual profit scheme, I mean stream.

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuMan View Post
    True, but many companies don't use Exchange, and most of the small businesses I do work for don't plan on upgrading to Exchange 2007 anyway. Plus, many companies are tired of Microsoft's continual upgrade and purchase new client licenses circle of perpetual profit scheme, I mean stream.
    Then give your customers a clue and start using the volume license program properly. Software MUST be current, especially when you're dealing something as weak as your public SMTP server. Software requires constant upgrades, this means constant cost. Why is it that Untangle is subscription based? Your OS is requires no less..

Sorry for the soap box I'm just sick of people complaining about Microsoft's attempt to be paid for the silly amounts of resources they expend making thier software.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Sorry for the soap box I'm just sick of people complaining about Microsoft's attempt to be paid for the silly amounts of resources they expend making thier software.
    I find it more a "forcing you to upgrade from a functional and stable platform, to a bloated and unstable platform with less functionality." As long as there are security patches for XP, I will encourage my clients to stay there. (Or move to Linux if they can)

As to exchange, I have not recommended it in years...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Sharp View Post
    I find it more a "forcing you to upgrade from a functional and stable platform, to a bloated and unstable platform with less functionality." As long as there are security patches for XP, I will encourage my clients to stay there. (Or move to Linux if they can)

As to exchange, I have not recommended it in years...
    And I agree, but item 1, XP support is done in April, patches end at that point so if you're selling new equipment to customers with that platform and they don't know about this limitation. You're worse that Microsoft.

As for Exchange, my recent trail by fire has forced me to learn more about the Exchange 2007 platform than I ever wanted to know. This is the first version of Exchange that I've ever worked with that I'm actually happy with. I've been around shorter than most, but I started with Exchange 5.

Exchange 2007 has a very sane "role" model that separates functionality. You can break your service up into several servers easily, and it comes predesigned for an edge SMTP server to report mail back to the main message store. The connectors are easier to manage, anti-spam/anti-virus, is built in... heck it even has tarpit functionality on by default. In short, Exchange 2007 is very nice.

Sometimes upgrade march is a good thing. Is the Microsoft world as flexible as our beloved Open Source world? No, but if you're in need of running Exchange it is time to make the upgrade. You won't regret it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

And I agree, but item 1, XP support is done in April, patches end at that point so if you're selling new equipment to customers with that platform and they don't know about this limitation. You're worse that Microsoft.
    Security patches go to 2014. MS is still selling XP for the SCC market, (small cheap computers) so the full support will probably go past April as well.

Master Untangler

Also, Microsoft always pushes their dates.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast