Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual View Post
    I want to understand that -- you mean the software would not act as a bridge properly?
    no it means that any TCP traffic from outside the network (via a port forward or something) will not be able to connect to the host running untangle.

http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4559

edit: we'll consider a re-router forum if we think its necessary, but at this point we'd like to wait and see where most of the discussion is focused before we rearrange things...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual View Post
    Argh. Is the license transferrable? 'Cause if I'd known this product existed for Windows, I'd not have been barking up the other tree (and hassling trying to scrape together hardware).
    Licenses are transferable. Untangle on windows is just another form of untangle...

Pretty soon you'll be able to transfer subscription around yourself with the online store.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    no it means that any TCP traffic from outside the network (via a port forward or something) will not be able to connect to the host running untangle.

http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4559

edit: we'll consider a re-router forum if we think its necessary, but at this point we'd like to wait and see where most of the discussion is focused before we rearrange things...
    I'll assume this bug has been accorded emergency status, and all developers have packed their bags, kissed their children goodbye, and have moved into their offices until this crisis has passed?

;-)

According to the Webinar on Re-Router...this was developed to mostly be a "sales tool"...to seamlessly plug into an XPp rig on an existing small network and show the UTM benefits.

To implement on a larger network, install on production servers running an OS other than XPp, why wouldn't one take the VM or dedicated UT box approach?

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    According to the Webinar on Re-Router...this was developed to mostly be a "sales tool"...to seamlessly plug into an XPp rig on an existing small network and show the UTM benefits.

To implement on a larger network, install on production servers running an OS other than XPp, why wouldn't one take the VM or dedicated UT box approach?
    Only because if it COULD be implemented more reliably without requiring a live VM state or box, that would be very cool. VERY cool.

To have gone much of the distance with only sales demos in view sounds like people with marketing in mind have more stock in developers' time than folks with a vision for to what such meager use of good coding might be put.

It's always possible to do something inelegantly. What makes a technology standout is when it can be implemented elegantly. Admittedly, that takes a lot of blood, sweat and tears and I can't blame anyone for not busting their calendars just to make it happen. ;-)
    Last edited by rasqual; 09-24-2008 at 06:14 AM.

ReRouter is a cool concept..but IMO for the target audience (small to medium business networks)...being supported in VMWare on a true server, or more commonly..on a dedicated box....is a more realistic and sound approach..worthy of resources.

Budgetwise a barebones small 1U server costs equal or less than a quality C2Duo with 2 or more gigs of RAM XP box that would be able to sustain running an OS and a virtual ReRouter session.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    ReRouter is a cool concept..but IMO for the target audience (small to medium business networks)...being supported in VMWare on a true server, or more commonly..on a dedicated box....is a more realistic and sound approach..worthy of resources.

Budgetwise a barebones small 1U server costs equal or less than a quality C2Duo with 2 or more gigs of RAM XP box that would be able to sustain running an OS and a virtual ReRouter session.
    Agreed, my customers will never see a re-router other than my laptop running the package as a demonstration. For that purpose this idea completely rocks.. for the other well...

As soon as I can get the darn thing to WORK on my laptop I'll be testing the daylights out of this.

Also, emergency status on that bug is a little premature. This product is BETA after all... it shouldn't be in any production environment! If you put it there... it's your problem.

Also, 2gb of ram is RARE for an XP installation. If you wanted this product to work reasonably within the market segment it needs to ride on Vista. These machines have much more ram to work with, and I don't sell one short of 4gb. Most XP boxes have 1gb, just like my laptop.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Ok it seems I'm behind the curve on another issue, it is released. =/

Honestly, someone needs to do something about the bandwidth for the download. Firefox is reporting 5 days 3 hours to slug down the 892mb file to install 5.4.1...

Ok it's just the San Jose mirror... pulling it in from Virginia at 625KB/Sec... ETA 25 min... MUCH better
    Last edited by sky-knight; 09-24-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

Also, 2gb of ram is RARE for an XP installation.
    I have tons of clients with that. Esp lots of non-profits...those that run some BlackBaud products with the PaperSave scanning options, they also heavily use the RWW portal of SBS to hit their workstation from remote, Office 2K7....been kicking those users to 2 gigs for a while now. Just installed 4x new workstations at one day with those specs.

Their soon to be installed Untangle will be running on a dedicated HP Biz Desktop though.

//sidenote....Astaro regional sales rep must be detecting rising amount of Untangle installs my region lately....e-mailing me and calling office like crazy trying to recruit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast