Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Windows Re-Router Forum

can we get a forum section dedicated to just questions that pertain to windows re-router install.

Thanks

Heck, I wasn't even aware of the product until I paid my invoice for the stock Untangle software yesterday (then I got an e-mail announcing it).

Argh. Is the license transferrable? 'Cause if I'd known this product existed for Windows, I'd not have been barking up the other tree (and hassling trying to scrape together hardware).

Are there any issues with the Windows re-Router running on an Active Directory DC? Just wondering whether DNS is happy with it (since DNS rules A/D networks).

Master Untangler

so far i have not been able to get this product to work period on a windows 2003 server.

Aargh.

Not good!

This server's the most spotless machine I've ever maintained (this one is for a church; at work I have 60 servers), and I'd hate to install something buggy.

Argh.

The rerouter version of Untangle prevents ALL NETWORK CONNECTIVITY for the host... deploying this on a server would be suicidal. Unless you want that machine to ONLY do Untangle. And at that point you're better off with a non VM install and move that Windows license somewhere it can do some good.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

sky-knight, please elaborate further. I have gotten this to run on a server although not in background mode i can get it to run in the vmware console in the foreground. It does all untangle processing and still allows all access to the machine.

Please elaborate further on "prevents ALL NETWORL CONNECTIVITY"

Well, I for one can't have the thing running in an actually Windows session. If it doesn't run stand-alone (background?), it's not much good.

Firedaemon, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdessert View Post
    sky-knight, please elaborate further. I have gotten this to run on a server although not in background mode i can get it to run in the vmware console in the foreground. It does all untangle processing and still allows all access to the machine.

Please elaborate further on "prevents ALL NETWORL CONNECTIVITY"
    Ok, then I am misinformed. The information I have from the beta forums indicates that the layer 2 wackiness that makes the re-router possible disables the host's ability to use the network interface. Perhaps they fixed that later... I have yet to get the thing to even function for me to test.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

The only supported platform is Windows XP, running it in SBS, 2003, 2008, and Vista are not well tested and have known issues. In windows XP the host should still be able to use the network and internet fine. It should also run as a system service without anyone logged in.

In our testing of 2003 and 2003 SBS we found that services on the host were accessible from the local network but were not accessible from the Internet.
    Thomas Belote
    Untangle

Quote Originally Posted by tbelote View Post
    In our testing of 2003 and 2003 SBS we found that services on the host were accessible from the local network but were not accessible from the Internet.
    I want to understand that -- you mean the software would not act as a bridge properly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast