Question Am I the only one...

I see this "Re-Router" project as a MAJOR distraction. UT has such a great start with more work needing to be done and I see resources spent on this unnecessary project. I even got a free 'FOB' in the mail.

I guess the reason for my frustration is that I get weekly calls from the UT sales rep asking me how many more commercial packages I plan to sell this quarter.

Let me see:
    1) I keep getting blank reports sent from all of my UT installs.
    2) None of the feature requests I ( and others ) have suggested got implemented.
    3) The store just got functional 5 days before quarter end. I did get the full package for my shop. But my clients lost interest the third time I had to reschedule.

I have lost a lot of momentum due to technical and procedural issues on the UT end of things. So again, why the unnecessary Re-Router project?
    Robert Johnston
    Datajockeys, LLC

Untangler

IMHO, re-router is ridiculous. It is yet another way people can try to get around doing things the proper way. I have seen time and time again businesses who never want to do things right. They want it cheap.

Trusting something running on windows to protect your network..?? I want all Windows boxes as far from possible threats as possible. Hard enough to secure them as it is.

Plus, fooling existing computers rather than putting the firewall/ips inline is a bad idea anyway.

BTW, as I prefaced, this is only my opinion. I understand there are divergent views and I am not saying that they aren't valid. But the question was asked about what we think. Just giving this disclaimer so I don't get slammed by everyone who is pro-re-router
    Last edited by securityguy; 10-10-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Re-Router was designed to be a sales tool. It packs a massive punch when used on a laptop for demos...

Beyond that I wouldn't run it in production unless we're talking about a home network.

And yes, I'm impatient for features as well. I was promised multi-wan when I signed on as a reseller with 5.1. I still don't have the feature, and my largest account is starting to complain. They bought a 2 year Untangle Pro, they wan't multi-wan. If I lose this customer my company is going under, bottom line.

Also, The e-mail I got that said "Untangle Multi-WAN" and pointed me at a netgear POS really pissed me off...

So as I read this it seems like I'm seething about these issues. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The product and team have so many good qualities that the Untagle software is still very front and center on my marketing efforts. I just needed to voice my displeasure about the re-router as well. It is a nice toy, but there where many other features that to me would have benifited Untangle more.

Also, I would like an answer to one question.

Untangle as a company wants to be a software company. Is the re-router thier attempt to build a product that is truely OS independant? And, by extension is the re-router technology going to be the basis of the product going forward?
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-10-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

I think that most of the people who cannot afford a new computer would see it as anything but a distraction. Its an opportunity for home users and mom & pop businesses to not have to buy a new box, not have to shudder at the thought of Linux (which scares a lot of Windows folks), and not have to go through a lot of setup (which they may consider complicated depending on their prowess). Bottom line is time will tell. I don't have a real position though I hope for the best.

As far as your three points...
    1. You have already been told in the forums by the developers that this will be fixed in the next release.
    2. I haven't traced dates of your requests, but if there haven't been any releases since your feature requests were submitted, I would expect exactly what you stated here.
    3. I'm not exactly sure what to say here, but the store went live on July 20.

mdh

sky-knight,

The email you got was not planned as "the" answer, but was suggested as an interim solution by the sender...nothing more. Dual WAN is still out there, but its not a simple task.

Master Untangler

We are new MSP partners, but so far we are very happy. Though I tend to agree with some of the above.

Re-router as a sales tool is OK. It has it's problems as well. Especially when it drops everyone's connections on the network when it goes online. I imagine there will be some dropped connections when the "sales tool" is removed from the network. I have a feeling like there will be some kickback (clients pissed) from that part.

Personally, is the major market share for PAYING clients under 20 users? Because personally, I wouldn't put a re-router online at a prospect who had more than 15 machines. Ow yeah, we don't touch clients under 20!!! I bet that there are A LOT of Untangle deployments out there that are smaller than 20, but I bet they are non-paying sites. Basically, any serious client would probably want an in-line solution in place for a demo anyway. Any serious reseller/MSP can easily afford a demo box if they need to go that route.

Personally, our clients trust us. They won't need a demo of the box anyway. It's not like they will be logging into the Untangle system... that's what we are for - we manage their systems.

Master Untangler

I thought the Re-Router looked like a pretty neat idea for home use, but we love our Untangle appliance for the office. Any small business that can't afford a small box to install the regular Open Source Untangle on, probably can't afford to be in business. I don't have a problem with the Re-Router, as long as the Untangle developers main priority is the real Untangle Network Gateway and the Re-Router doesn't take their time and focus away from their main product. It does look a little funny to see the headlines like "Untangle Joins The Linux Foundation", then come to the site to see a big starburst for their new windows product.

Master Untangler

personally, why not just take a very small, lightweight, linux box running a via chipset, for a sales tool? drop it in, plug it up, and show off some pre-determined set features.
    Or, even better, just make the keyfob boot the full linux version, and fully boot from your laptop, if you must, and show them the real deal. So, it will be slow. Just reduce it to one computer, for demo purposes.