Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good points about running Asterisk on a Virtual Server. I had never tried it (mine runs on an old Dell Optiplex w/2 phones attached, so it doesn't need to be a very powerful system)

You can get 2 phones to work on a virtual install ok...

It does work in very light usage situations. The thing to remember is that a real PBX requires special hardware. This hardware provides a timing signal used by Asterisk to run literally everything; not to mention the interfaces to the PSTN. Now, if you virtualize it, the host OS more than likely doesn't have the drivers to use that custom hardware... and even if you did get them in there, the virtualization platform certainly doesn't have the stuff to extend that hardware into the VM. So the end result is you're stuck in an IP only world in a VM, and you have timing issues to boot... it gets very unhappy under load... very quickly.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Yep. It's all about the timing source.

Thanks All for the reply's.

Because everybody keeps turning this idea off, I will keep my old environment.
    No offence but, I am to busy for headache of problems that I will create with putting all in one box.

I just want to say that there are different PBX OS and Gateway in 1 (quite a few).
    Trixbox is not the same as a Gateway but is still secured by a firewall with default rules for VoIP.
    BTW: It's for home use and test-environment.
    Home use have to work always but the test-environment is on a different subnet and is used for my work (I'm a IT Consultant with VoIP as a main responsibility).

System it isn't that I'm turning the idea off.

It's that I have put alot of time and thought into this already being a consultant myself. The bottom line is we don't have the ability to make these two intensive applications merge right now. As I said in the magic future when Untangle decides to get with the program (kick kick) and move on to 64 bit. We should have the ability to build a server grade unit with the monstrous amounts of ram required to make this work smoothly, plus the ability to upgrade the hardware to keep it going.

What I worry about, is that your customer may decide to purchase UT support, and then expect them to support this thing. They really can't...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks for the feedback sky-knight!

I know that it is hard to support, when there are problems and I fully understand that there cannot be a support guarantee.

Still, I like the idea that UT would be a All-In-One package and I hope that this feature will be possible, when there comes a UT 64bit version.

Thanks Again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12