Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle All-In-One?

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a possibility for running UT with Asterisk and File Server. I have seen on other forums that it is possible but there are no further explanations, however.

I have UT 5.3 running at the moment on a:

HP DL380 G2
    2X 3.06Ghz
    4Gb Memory
    2X 36Gb HDD Mirrored
    1X 147Gb HDD (currently FTP)

I have 2 more servers running 1 as PBX and the other as File & Print server.

It would be great if I can install UT as a All-In-One (Gateway, Asterisk, File & Print).

If someone knows the solution, please tell me!

welcome to the forums!

It is possible, but it requires quite a bit of know-how.
    I don't think there are any howto's.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

WOW, that would impressive. Phone server and total internet security in a warm flakey crust. But alas you are provoking the one beast that take down any good all-in-one idea..... Single Point of Failure
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Master Untangler

This is a bad bad idea. Asterisk server and a security appliance should not be on the same box. Like ever. Absolutely say goodbye to quality calls.

Thanks all for the quick answers.

I know that it isn't wise to put Asterisk and a security appliance on the same box but I've had it before and it gave me no serious problems (only hard to troubleshoot when there are problems).

I don't mind to leave Asterisk out of the UT box but it is nice to have more on a UT box than only a security appliance.

BTW, it is good for my electricity bill if I can run everything I needed on less servers.

I have to agree with the others. If you want to run Asterisk and a web server on the same box, go for it. But imho a security appliance should be just that, with nothing else on it to mess up the works and to heck with the electric bill.
    Is this in an office or your home?

If the electric bill is a concern... buy something like this...

http://www.antec.com/usa/productDeta...d=27650&type=0
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

to those worried about security - there are plenty of ways to solve this. you can easily use the firewall in linux to protect itself, and you can use many tools to protect processes from each other.

people used to say the same thing about untangle's approach...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yes and no. Untangles approach is to combine multiple related applications. Firewall, content filtering, Intrusion protection, etc. all have network security at their core.
    Many off the shelf security appliances (Fortigate, Sonicwall, and so on) do the exact same thing.
    However, none of them incorporate an IP/PBX server (Asterisk), except one that I know of (Adtran Netvanta 7100, but that doesn't incorporate intrusion protection, content filtering and so on. Just basic routing, firewalling, and an IP/PBX).
    If you want to combine these two unrelated technologies onto one server, I think you're asking for trouble (from a security perspective). If you're going to do this for your house, go for it. Have fun. Knock yourself out (but maybe think about putting the asterisk server on a virtual server). For your Enterprise? No way. Enterprise data is too critical to have this potential vulnerability.

Never... but NEVER and I MEAN NEVER!

Virtualize Asterisk...

You can do this for testing... but deploying this into production will fail so hard you'll be pulling your eyes out of your feet as you try and get your nose out of your arse...

The ONLY reason that Asterisk is forming an appliance with basic routing capabilities is to allow that device to function as the DHCP service. It does this to automate one of the hardest parts of VoIP deployments... the creation of an IP Phone provisioning system.

With Untangle 6.0 we will finally have a means in the GUI to implement Option 66. This means that Untangle can bridge the gap to get the phones to the FTP/TFTP server responsible for passing out phone configurations and firmware.

If you want to make Untangle an all in one box you're looking at quite a headache as you add FTP services, along side the Untangle, to then fire up Asterisk, and pray you don't run out of CPU/RAM? I'm sorry, Untangle is freaking heavy, it needs gobs of ram and CPU to run well. Asterisk along side Untangle is just asking for trouble.

Now if we had 64bit support, a dual Quad HT enabled server with 8+gb of ram in it... I may be able to change my tune a bit. For now, we're stuck in a rather limited world of 32bit 4gb of ram...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast