Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UT 6.0 Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Ok this is getting to be completely insane.

You're blaming Untangle for the fact that you've been stealing this feature for a year and now you demand it be free?

If you don't want to pay for the tool, then brand the thing yourself!

It's open source... it's all php with a ruby rails back end... it isn't that hard to go find the correct web page. All of the information you need is in the dev wiki.
    Agreed!

I even don't think re-branding should be allowed. That's it.
    So basically people here are saying that CISCO should allow them to change all the CISCO logos in any app to show their own COMPANY LOGO just because they are reselling/managing CISCO equipment to their clients? That's insane....
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado

Untanglit

is there v6 vmware image , i want ot try it now

Quote Originally Posted by mjfahmi View Post
    is there v6 vmware image , i want ot try it now
    I can post one but let me ask the Untangle folks if me doing that is breaking any rule
    Juan Machado

Not to throw more fuel on the fire... but the first mention I can find is here - straight from the horses mouth:
    http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=125

and yes, no mention of "for pay" just - "...you'll be able to change things like the logo (use your own) and substitute the word "Untangle" " I think you should allow company names and logo on the page if not for the users assurance that the filter was done from within the corporation. Go ahead put your untangle logo on one side, just let the end users apply theirs to the opposite side. (I think the powered by Untangle is a great idea). then if users actually want to "rebrand" ie take the untangle brand and make it there own... THEN pay for it.

I plan on hacking to get it back, but I know its going to be an endless battle against updates when everything gets overwritten every week

... just food for thought.

If it were my product I would make it so you could not edit it, and if you did you would be in violation of the EULA or reseller agreement. This is not your creation, what right do you think you have to make it appear to be your own?

Topics like this really get me . This is an amazing product, for the most part they give it away for free, and now you want to cry about not getting to deface their product for free? This product didnt make it's self, and the people who made it (or continue to make it) aren't that selfless as to give their time and effort for free. This is a company, and they are in this game for profit. I had this discussion earlier today with an untangle sales rep. Open source doesnt mean free. It means freedom. And like freedom, it is not free. Freedom in the national sense takes wars and bloodshed. Freedom in this case means spending some damn money.

Master Untangler

*salutes and sings the Untangle Open Source Anthem*

Untangler

Cool Stop playing the blame game!!!

Now let's play fair children...

There's no need to put any blame on the Untangle boy's...
    Most of us have probably been playing around with the "branding" option, I know I have...

So it's gonna be a little tougher to do it without paying for it, but that's just right from any point of view...

If it was my company I would charge for the ability to take my brand off my software... Any company that offers that ability charge's for it...
    I don't know what I'm doing! I just do it!
    So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt...;)

Quote Originally Posted by lordcom View Post
    Now let's play fair children...

There's no need to put any blame on the Untangle boy's...
    Most of us have probably been playing around with the "branding" option, I know I have...

So it's gonna be a little tougher to do it without paying for it, but that's just right from any point of view...

If it was my company I would charge for the ability to take my brand off my software... Any company that offers that ability charge's for it...
    Right on. I can agree with that.

Default More rebranding suggestions

OK, so I've been reading through this. I don't re-brand Untangle and never have - heck, I love bragging about the software and wouldn't want to hide the name. That being said, I do think there is a place in either a managed services client or an internal IT department where adding a logo and instructions for who to contact (or not contact) is important if not necessary. Here's my suggestion, allow for partial branding. Add a "Powered by Untangle" logo and link that can't be removed but allow partial branding for instructions and a company logo.

I do agree with others that this is a feature that was "removed" from the free offering whether it was officially supported or not, it was marketed through these forums as a free feature. I don't agree that Untangle has any obligation to continue to give away the right to remove their logo for free. If you aren't going to pay for the feature, then the least you can do is market the product.

I believe there's so much value in what Untangle offers for free and for minimal cost, if they want to charge for any rebranding - I have no issue with that. I just think a partial rebranding feature for at least instructions would prove to be a good option.

Thanks for a great product, and you can put your logo anywhere you want!

Untangler

Lightbulb Partial branding is an idéa I might support!!!

Skirat! I think you have a point there...

But I do think it would have to be restricted to the block page...
    There is always a good reason to have information posted on the block page that is relevant for the companie's that use Untangle...

So I for one would stick to relevant information like "This site is blocked for this reason" and "For further information contact the network administrator"...

Further rebranding should be a charged matter thou...
    But I think this might be a valid "free" branding solution...
    I don't know what I'm doing! I just do it!
    So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt...;)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast