Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UT 6.0 Feedback

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by lordcom View Post
    Skirat! I think you have a point there...

But I do think it would have to be restricted to the block page...
    There is always a good reason to have information posted on the block page that is relevant for the companie's that use Untangle...

So I for one would stick to relevant information like "This site is blocked for this reason" and "For further information contact the network administrator"...

Further rebranding should be a charged matter thou...
    But I think this might be a valid "free" branding solution...
    Now this sounds sensible. For us, this branding issue is no issue. Every Untangle we will sell will have pro-pack (includes branding).

I personally think that everyone (as in for free) should get a co-branding feature. This would allow people to put their own logo and change "some" of the text. So that it is clear what company is blocking a page and who to call for support. At the same time a "powered by Untangle" could be at the bottom and even have a small logo. I think this would be a good compromise.

Untangler

I agree with the limited rebranding idea, to have at least minimal ability here as suggested would be very helpful.
    Our Current Platform [INACTIVE Until further notice - finally in a new building!]
    ---------------------------------
    Intel Desktop Board type D865GVHZ + Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT, 2GB Dual-channel RAM, 40GB HDD, 3x3Com 309x 10/100 PCI, 3Mbit 4 to 1 Business Cable, roughly 500 users and 220 machines and growing.
    ---------------------------------
    Please make use of the Untangle Bugzilla to vote for and report issues/requests!!

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    Now this sounds sensible. For us, this branding issue is no issue. Every Untangle we will sell will have pro-pack (includes branding).

I personally think that everyone (as in for free) should get a co-branding feature. This would allow people to put their own logo and change "some" of the text. So that it is clear what company is blocking a page and who to call for support. At the same time a "powered by Untangle" could be at the bottom and even have a small logo. I think this would be a good compromise.
    I disgree. The free product is what it is. I think that it should be included with the pro pack or live support, much like configuration backup is. I think that we (MSP's and Resellers) should be rewarded for our paid subscriptions and our monetary support of this company.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by skirat View Post
    OK, so I've been reading through this. I don't re-brand Untangle and never have - heck, I love bragging about the software and wouldn't want to hide the name. That being said, I do think there is a place in either a managed services client or an internal IT department where adding a logo and instructions for who to contact (or not contact) is important if not necessary. Here's my suggestion, allow for partial branding. Add a "Powered by Untangle" logo and link that can't be removed but allow partial branding for instructions and a company logo.

I do agree with others that this is a feature that was "removed" from the free offering whether it was officially supported or not, it was marketed through these forums as a free feature. I don't agree that Untangle has any obligation to continue to give away the right to remove their logo for free. If you aren't going to pay for the feature, then the least you can do is market the product.

I believe there's so much value in what Untangle offers for free and for minimal cost, if they want to charge for any rebranding - I have no issue with that. I just think a partial rebranding feature for at least instructions would prove to be a good option.

Thanks for a great product, and you can put your logo anywhere you want!
    I Agree.. Partial Branding would satisfy a lot of people, a lot of contributing forum supporters. Like it or not UT both free and MSP/Resellers benefit from the testing and contributions that the "Free" UT Members provide. Providing a space to include company logo and how to contact an IT resource is pretty basic and should be included for free. If you want to strip off the UT logos all together.. pay the branding fees.

And the comment about removing cisco logos.. Cisco does that do an extent with its block pages and Captive portal pages, you can customize the crap out of those, you dont have to mention Cisco at all...

None of you even read what I was saying
    BUSINESS
    BUSINESS
    BUSINESS
    I DON'T care if I can brand or not - I don't and don't need to
    AS FAR AS A BUSINESS decision where UT is trying to gain market share taking something away that they let user use is STUPID.
    No Cisco should not let people remove their logo - but if they let me do vpn with my current setup do you think it is SMART in terms of BUSINESS to then say
    "hey now that you use our router (cisco) you now have to pay for that feature we used to give you"
    Are you still thinking BUSINESS (this will fly over 80% of this forum full of zit faced kids)...
    It is just bad business practice that is all I was trying to say. I don't care if they charge now or not - just think they should be careful or they will loose people/user = profit.
    example: we use the firewall feature now
    v7.0 oh now you have to pay $120.00 to use it
    = STUPID BUSINESS MODEL
    That was an EXAMPLE for people that don't read posts correctly!

No comments Mr. Fragclub... and just to be clear, I don't work for Untangle so whatever I say is not the company position.
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by whatuusay1 View Post
    I Agree.. Partial Branding would satisfy a lot of people, a lot of contributing forum supporters. Like it or not UT both free and MSP/Resellers benefit from the testing and contributions that the "Free" UT Members provide. Providing a space to include company logo and how to contact an IT resource is pretty basic and should be included for free. If you want to strip off the UT logos all together.. pay the branding fees.
    I agree with both skirat and whatuusay1. partial branding provides benefit to both UT and its partner by exposing the UT product and its partner services to potential customers. No bashing please...just my

Untangler

Untangle is a great product. As an MSP, it allows us to deliver a better security solution than other commercial products, while bundling in our own custom services to create a unique value proposition.

Branding is important for us because it helps us distinguish ourselves from other providers. We do not try to hide Untangle, but when clients see open source and free - it undermines the perception of value and complicates the sales process.

Open source does not mean free - just that there are no license costs - you still have to learn, test, maintain and understand the software - which is not cheap!

The value of our solutions comes from the service and expertise that we provide. We don't mark up the cost of Untangle, but we do bundle it with service and support.

We are HAPPY to pay for branding because we want Untangle to make money AND we get good value for it

If branding is not worth $10/month to you (or the cost of professional) - don't pay for it - This is not something they are taking away from you, it is something you have been using for FREE that was not given to you.

Untangle is one of the greatest deals on the planet (or at least in Internet security). If Untangle isn't able to make money, we all end up with nothing.

Co-branding seems like a reasonable request - but I don't think we should complain about something that has been given to us for free.

THANK YOU Untangle Team!

Well said! Thanks
    Juan Machado

I promise this post will contain nothing about branding.

My office box got the upgrade last night. It's a smallish box that Ive been testing UT on (old P4 512MB). Here is the memory usage from before and after the upgrade. Notice the dip at just before 12:00. Swap memory used also took a big dive, then up again, but still lower than before.

Also note that it is running everything except eSoft and Kaspersky post install. Pre install it had about half the OS apps installed + pro pack.
    Last edited by dhtc; 12-14-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Dave

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast