Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UT 6.0 Feedback

Master Untangler

Default UT 6.0 Feedback

Just loaded up UT 6 and wow.. Awesome. The new interface is much improved over Java. I also love the new rack and device monitors - very cool. I wanted some clarification on a couple of items, as well as make a sugestion though.

1). Branding Manager - Is there still a way to update the Logo without paying 10\month per UT? Seems pretty high since this was essentially free on 5.4.

2) QOS - I think it would be fantastic to have a QOS Rack Item with more options / Stats.

3) VoIP - Would also be cool to provide a VoIP Monitor or call in progress componant to the main systems stats.

Thanks again!
    Andrew

I'm new to Untangle, but think it would be great for some of my customers. For $120 I would expect more than one server for branding. This is steep. I would only need Professional packages for larger customers and then I can pass this along. However, I'm thinking of targeting home users.

Would be nice to have my brand there and I don't mind sharing some info about Untangle as well. I don't care to hide all the links back the product and the like. Just want my established brand in place and easy to update contact info.

Thanks,

The Sarge

Untanglit

Glad you got your UT 6 up and running, it seems mine hangs up when copying files to HDD. Had to reinstall ver. 5.3 and now waiting for it to hang on me updating to 5.4. Should have just left then da** thing alone.

Quote Originally Posted by whatuusay1 View Post
    1). Branding Manager - Is there still a way to update the Logo without paying 10\month per UT? Seems pretty high since this was essentially free on 5.4.
    This is incorrect. The branding tools were never legally free. You need to check your license agreement. They were just there for anyone who knew how to get at them. Now that Untangle as put them into the back end and controlled the access the complaints are rampant...

However, I should point out that only the "tools" to brand the UT cost you. There is nothing stopping you from climbing into the UT and reworking the HTML in the block pages.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Gotcha - Thanks for the clarification on the branding. I guess it somewhat makes sense..I personally dont see the value ($120) per year.. per box... I dont know, just seems incredibly expensive for an HTML editor. Especially since most small offices balk at paying for the AD connector / KAV. Just my 2 cents. I'm an UT fan.. but seems like something that should be free. I can understand if they wanted to adjust the pages if you purchased the Prof package but I cant see any of my small business customers going for it.

This sort of thing isn't really for the customer. Perhaps, larger ones... that want their own stuff showing on the error. This sort of thing is something you as the reseller would just build into the cost if you wanted your stuff showing to the customer all the time. I'm with you in that I don't see much of a point. I'm trying to remove myself as much as possible not insert myself in random places.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Default Why All The Cost Now?

I have been a member for a while and I rarley log into the forums or make post, but I half to comment.

I have followed and used Untangle since the start of the project. The product has been outstanding.

For more than a year now I have been waiting to upgrade to the pro package. You might ask why?

The reason is because I was waiting for a day like this, when Untangle decides to clime into a different division of competition, and the open source product we all helped test and gave feedback on during beta versions starts to become no longer an open source product but more of a commercial product.

When prices start to equal WatchGuard, SonicWall, Websense, ect... I no longer see a great alternative to SonicWall as quoted. I see a possible problem in development with open source packages.

I fear that the already implemented open source solutions and packages will not get attention or updates because of these addtional options. The chances are I could be right or I could be wrong.

I say focuss on making the open source solutions better. There is still alot that can be improved with what you already had. Build the business off of great services and rely on your company not others.

I like the 6.0 upgrade, but not being able to access branding anymore unless $10 per month. I know you need to maintain funding for development, but come on.

In general I still love the product and you guys are doing great things. I just hope Untangle does not get tangled in a mess and lose track of the small business side of things.

"Don't do anything fancy with the hammer, just take the darn thing and hit the freaking nail.

Master Untangler

I don't really understand the big fuss everyone is making about branding. UT has to fund their business somehow and because Untangle is open source everyone is free to re-brand things themselves if they really want to.

As far as the commercial add-ons go it's nothing new. There has been a dual virus blocker option for ages now and the normal ClamAV virus blocker is still maintained and does an awesome job. The reason the eSoft filter was necessary was because features that the community was asking for were not possible to implement with the existing open source web filter app. The addition of the eSoft filter allows those who need it to obtain the features they need without adding an additional piece of hardware to their network. Obviously someone has to pay eSoft for the use of their service and the UT guys need to be paid for the integration and maintenance of the application within Untangle.

We needed a feature and they provided it. Not everything is able to be provided free and the more money Untangle brings in with sales of professional applications the more R&D can be done on adding and improving open source applications.

Untanglit

Statikk,

I agree with most everything your saying, I would just hate to see the open source side of things go cold in the aspect that they may not get as much attention if other options are replacing current fuctionality but at a high price.

Let's be honest, most everyone that got involved with Untangle was due to the low overhead and cost. I like having options as long as the previous options don't become obsolete.

As far as the dual anti-viruse, yeah your right additional packages have always been availible, but at a resonable price.

I noticed they have a discount package for schools, do they have one for local government?

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast