Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Untangler

Laurenz,

I agree that this is retarded and useless.

It seems like all Untangle does is a pattern match for "exe", "dll", etc in the url and if it matches the request to that page of the site is blocked by Untangle. It doesn't do any analysis of any payload stream or make sure the file is a binary executable, etc- it just blocks access to the page of the site if, for whatever reason, names one of their webpages with ".exe", ".dll", etc.

It is a glorious regular expression/pattern mapping tool.

I guess it is too much overhead to have file signatures for zip files, executable binaries, dlls, etc and to actually make sure the file isn't just a friggen web page before it is blocked (how about checking if the offending webpage is valid HTML and letting it through if it is?)

Kind of an LOL moment if you ask me because if your users surf the web at all, this feature is more than useless.
    Last edited by nowwhat; 07-22-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Talking So what's the verdict?

Haven't had a chance to visit this site lately... but now that I'm back to checkup on things I enjoyed the posts kudos to all.

However I am not convinced that this isn't a problem, if sygate blocks .dlls from running in place of a trusted .dll ,that seems to me you COULD receive "malicious" dlls in place of legit ones by running it from and or "through" the browsers.... via active x, Java, cross scripting, or perhaps embedded in the content itself, or in other ways I have yet to mention....

Like I mentioned early on, sygate blocked a dll file that was being sent to the "Microsoft Piracy Hot line" via "messenger service" and I did see a whole bunch of personal info listed in that file.

If it runs on the server or client side of things or if it is actually received only to instruct the apps to behave a certain way good or bad on the client side, the point is, it has the ability to make changes! That leads me believe there's a lot of things we have yet to understand that them there folks at sygate did.

Any more thoughts on this well beatn subject..

Havent tried Ut7 yet gonna nuke it with my 30mb down 15 up FIOS. whoot...

Can we get some comments from someone who worked on the sygate firewall..

Thanks for the great products...UT

Default geez guys google dll. injection

Google dll injection

I didn't know anything about it till now,

I was just going on my gut instincts.. guess I'm on the wrong forum...

Can you say SYGATE?

Well UT It was sweet while it lasted...

So how bout it

dll. filtering, logging, blocking. ? Ya I guess it would be too much for you to swallow, but come on a false sense of security sucks.

I'm challenging you guys to up the ante. I know you can do it and don't listen to the whiners who say its a client side only thingy....

Wow how did I miss this thread when it came out.

Your screenshots a few posts back, you do realize those are simply from an update to Firefox, right? The update was most likely installed shortly before you saw those dialog windows asking for permission.

The communication to piracy.microsoft, did you attempt to install anything that required Windows Product Authentication to be run? Microsoft has been cranking that up....which IMO is a good thing.

mdh

Microsoft has had phone-home running on XP since day one. Track connections and you'll find one after every boot sequence.

Your screenshots a few posts back, you do realize those are simply from an update to Firefox, right? The update was most likely installed shortly before you saw those dialog windows asking for permission.

Ya I was just using the pictures for the readers to see, I guess I should have been more specific, I should have mentioned CSS dll injecting, as the culprit....oops. no more beers when posting...burp!

I got 7 up and running today, the last version I tried was 5. somthing a few years ago and was fine for about 2 weeks, then my downloads became corrupted, haven' used it since!

Thanks UT guys....

My specs:

Asrock P4i65g
    Pentium 1.8 b 533 MHZ low power
    2 500Mb 333 dual ch
    40 gig Maxtor
    250 watt power
    3 Realtec pci nics
    1 onboard
    in a tiny case of some kind

Runs silent and cool, would recomend this for anyone at home or small buisness.

Haven't stressed it yet on my fiber which last check was.........

24.9 Mb down
    25.1 Mb up I can just see them now..

all them there torrents..lol

Master Untangler

This thread has earned a spot in my "Give me back my last 10 minutes" list.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234