Smile Request WSUS option

Hello to all.. I am testing this app and pfsense for use in our office. We have many different OS's inside the network and I was wondering if there is any way to get a WSUS feature added to the rack. Having windows updates sitting on the dedicated UT server would be nice because the bandwith use is less that way.

so far the testing is going great! I love the app, very useful and not too hard to configure.

keep up the good work!!!

Thanks

That's not the job of a UTM. When you say many idfferent os's please elaborate.

It's a free download that you can add to one of your Windows Servers.

Tis better to have it controlled via active directory anyways.

Thanks for the replies....

the network we are working on is a R&D network.. we have many versions of linux/unix and windows 2000 and up through vista and all the flavors in between.

we do not have any servers currently dedicated as an active directory due to the nature of our work and the way its setup. its a direct sat link with a hardware firewall, i am in iraq so there are other limitations that i have to worry about which i can't get into.

Hescominsoon... when u say its not the job of UTM.. i am wondering then who is the devlopers that would make custom apps to add into the rack? our reverse engineers could probably figure it out.. but have way to many other things going on.

it looks good though!! i am still not quite sure if we are going to go with UT or pfsense.. any recomendations as to why i would want one or the other? i know thats a loaded question, but had to ask.

thanks...

PFSense vs UT?

There isn't really a comparison... they are both very different animals.

PFSense is a layer2/Layer3 bridge/router traditional firewall.

UT is a UTM, Layer 7.

Both are used for different applications.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

WSUS functionality allready exists.. for free with a windows 2003\2008 server. I supose you might be confusing a web cache.. hopefully we'll see a web cache in UT at somepoint no timeframe at the moment. I'd recommend looking into buying server2003 oem or web edition as both can be picked up rather cheaply. Also - you dont have to have wsus pushed out through AD, you can modify the reg entries on your machiens via script (specifying a wsus source). Anyways - just a few ideas. You may also want to look at squid - which is a transparent proxy. It would provide the caching features (which i think is ultimately what you are looking for). http://www.squid-cache.org/ Squid would be awesome if integrated with UT but its not available and not yet planned to my knowlege.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Good info!!! Thanks whatuusay1....

I am hooked though... I got the windows based UT installed and running, the dedicated server got stuck at 36% and wouldn't work, and after two days if finally crapped out.. not sure what happend.

At any rate.. I like the ease of use with UT... all the options are easy to understand and the firewall is great for our purposes! UT will work great!

I will look into squid... basically our issue is some of the things we do require HUGE amounts of bandwith.. and with only 15gigs a month of Sat download, we eat through it quickly so I am just looking at some of the options to close down the stuff that runs all the time to include the updates for windows os's. I have all them downloaded to an external drive.. but nobody wants to go through each KB folder and install the ones they need. Just trying to be lazy about it really.

So far though UT is great!!!!! Thanks to all who make it open source!