Default Per User/Bulk Spam Training

First off, I love the product.

One thing I feel is lacking on the spam side, is the ability to do bulk or per user spam training for spam that does make it through.

Possibly setting up spam and ham training addresses that the untangle box intercepts and does not forward, and then uses those emails to train it's filters.

The only problem I see with this approach is if a user has their mail server on the same physical network segment which would bypass the untangle box all together.

That being said, another possible solution is to allow the untangle box to subscribe to a pop email account for the spam and ham accounts so that this issue could be circumvented.

Master Untangler

We recently setup a Barracuda Spam Firewall and it has a nice Outlook plug-in for all of our users so they can click on the buttons to train the firewall with both good and bad emails that make it to their inbox. It would be great if there was an Untangle Outlook plugin to let the users help train the spam filter.

I haven't actually used Untangle yet (going to very soon).. However, from previous experience with multiplatform and multiple email clients, I think the easiest way to spam train would be to have spam (some_random_email_for_spam@domain.com) and ham (some_random_email_for_ham@domain.com) email address that you can forward emails to that would train the filter.

One program I used for spam, you could attach all your spam emails into an email to the spam filter which would then bulk train all those messages as spam or for ham depending which address you sent it to. Makes it easy to bulk train and is fully multiplatform and multi-application. Not tied to one program or another.

I haven't really looked very far into Untangle's spam training yet, but I hope something of this caliber is available.

Or the UT guys could always take the generic approach and make the plugin to just automate the process. Training users to forward this message to ham@untangle.com just doesn't work. Teach them to click a button? That works.

If you have a user that isn't on Outlook or Outlook Express. Generally speaking that user is a bit more capable.... these people can be taught, the former.. well.. they're windoze users..
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Your right for the bulk of the users out there. A button for outlook or windows users would be necessary since there are so many non savvy users out there, so that would be a very nice option also.

Since I've personally been in all ways possible trying to separate myself from MS products, I try to think more widely than just one platform and client.

Having the capability to forward a mail would be a relatively easy way to do multi-platform and multi-client method without programming plugins for the who knows how many options are out there, who like you said are most likely more computer savvy than the many windows / outlook or outlook express users.