Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mdh

Quote Originally Posted by skinnychook View Post

IMHO: "Careless admins" in reality are unemployed.
    No, I think they go to work for state governments.

Untanglit

I support a Linux Server product for a well known security company.
    I fully agree with that mdh.

skinnychook, if you think that careless or even untrained admins are unemployed, I think you may just be lucky to not have such admins at your place of work.
    In reality though, I do assure you its not fact.

Cheers

Sheldon

Untangler

could possibly add a reconfirm button before shutdown? this may able to prevent carelessly click the shutdown button. or add a seperate password for a shutdown function?

other untangle-er has point out it can be done via ssh.

but not all untangle users know how to do it. it seems very nice for the rest of us to have a shutdown button.

just my 2cents... a very green linux user.

Untangler

I agree with other users of this interface. A "Shutdown" button should be allowed. Why create a web interface if you have to do normal maintenace items in another window? I don't mind terminal, I mind having to make an extra effort for something that should be presented to me.

For those that decry "SMB users are easier fools than experts", my first response is that anyone that is given Administrative access should not be such a fool. Everyone makes mistakes, most everyone makes assumptions, but to say that those whom have "Admin" access (not the "User" account) I would think a simple "Shutdown" option not too big of a deal. To assume it is would mean that ANY operating system that person is in charge of (even if just a SBS 2003 box) would be under the "constant threat" of someone whom can "stumble across" the Shutdown button and somehow mistakenly hit it.

I mean, you can put a "Are you sure?" window into the feature. You could put a second one in. Heck, you could even require a "Reason" field be filled-out, if you are so inclined. Maybe have a hidden switch for we, the advanced crew, to enable it? At least give those who frequent these forums the ABILITY to give it a try. But to just decide "hey, let's design it so NOBODY can do it" without the consent of the users and those who shout loudly to laud the product is rather ... well, rather assumptive.

And just so you know, I put my money where my mouth is. Bugzilla enhancement request is at the following URL:

http://bugzilla.untangle.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5873
    Last edited by technostruct; 01-29-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Untangler

My vote for shutdown button by remote.

And if possible a login password at the monitor console. Because i'm not really convenience with the big "reboot" icon at the monitor console

pod
    Master Untangler

I don't really see the reason for a shutdown button on the main page.

You can reboot the server with three clicks (Config -> System -> Reboot).
    You can shutdown the server at the console with a big red button (from memory - it's a while since I've looked at the console)

If you aren't at the console, why would you want to shutdown the untangle box?
    (As opposed to rebooting it)

Enabling SSH takes less than a couple minutes, which would also give you the ability to do the remote shutdown (just not via the GUI), as well as a reboot. I am sure there will always be those that would like to see a "shutdown" button in the GUI, although, not sure exactly why, have read several posts about this, and none have provided any real reason that I can see, plus I would rather see the developers time dedicated to other enhancements, but that is just my $.02.

Untangler

Cool Why would we want it?

Okay, I've got to point this out because the dry, wry replies are getting a bit much.

Not EVERYONE has to want something in order for a product or enhancement to be released. I mean, does everyone need GPS in their car? No, that's why it's a feature that can be ADDED-IN - instead of coming by default. That's all that's being asked for here - the ability to have it, not the requirement to force it on everyone. A feature - not a necessity. Some of us DO want some feature put into Untangle, or at least have available to activate inside it.

And as far as having the "Developers" spend the time on making a shutdown button that sends a command via the web GUI for a "shutdown -h now" command (even with one or two "are you really sure?" messages) ... uh, really? I'm no developer, but I know plenty of colleagues that are, and honestly having it as a Untangle-sanctioned client feature that can be switched-on or off by those who want it is truly not that much to ask for.

For example, not everyone wants to have the ability to add-in Wireless access to Untangle. But I and others did, and one person who knew what they were doing stepped-up and spent the time and effort to make it work on Untangle (MANY thanks to Silver Bullet, and all the people who helped constructively that helped give feedback for that work). That's all those of us who want this one little thing are suggesting here, since there are those of us (like myself) who cannot build it ourselves. I'd be more than glad to help out in any other way I can that will help others when it is something I know how to do.

Let those that want it, get it. Let those that don't want it, leave it alone. But if a power button in the GUI is too much to ask for, what happens when we want something bigger? A simple enhancement/feature request isn't that big of a deal, guys. Chill out.

I'm simply confused as to why you would even want remote shutdown capability. If I ever need to down a UT server for maintenance I just tap the power button once.. the ACPI fires up, runs the shutdown routine, I do my thing and power the box back up. Remotely reboot is useful for several reasons.

I don't even use the local console... there is no need unless I need to hit the factory reset button.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

now fixed in r22808

please don't complain when you accidently shutdown your server remotely
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12