Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle.com down?

Geez guys...i didnt get the email warning me not to do an install tonight, because your server was going to be down. Little help over here? its ok, i'm sure my client will understand what ever reason you come up with. I feel like an idiot after talking them out of a sonicwall. this doesnt look good at all for me or for you. I am pretty sure i can kiss that one goodbye.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by rob8862 View Post
    Geez guys...i didnt get the email warning me not to do an install tonight, because your server was going to be down. Little help over here? its ok, i'm sure my client will understand what ever reason you come up with. I feel like an idiot after talking them out of a sonicwall. this doesnt look good at all for me or for you. I am pretty sure i can kiss that one goodbye.
    I am pretty sure they didn't plan this. Server is backup still no reason you can't install? I don't understand how you would be effected by Untangle being off line. If you only gave yourself one night to build an unified threat management system. That wouldn't be the fault of Untangle. I am not web guru but I believe there system just needed to be restarted.

mdh

Depending on what part was down, it may not have been possible to register the server, get a key or download apps.

I have no problem setting aside as much time as i need to to get the untangle up and running. I couldnt register, or download the applications last night. My point however is now i have to explain to my client why it was not done. Now if you were in thier position, how much faith would you have in this product?

If I were in their position I would understand that things break. Untangle's strength isn't in the fact that it never dies. It's strength is in the fact that it has far more options for repair. Especially when compared to sonicwall.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

The being down part is part of IT. I have seen just about every major website go down over the years. The reason I agree with you (about this being a really big deal) is because we can't install Untangle without the untangle.com website being online. I have a problem with that. I have asked previously that Untangle pre-load the opensource modules onto the ISO/CD, so that we can install a basic Untangle system without Internet and/or accessing the Untangle website.

I understand your concern Far... it would be nice if we could manually download and install the rack modules ourselves. However, for some reason I get this nagging feeling that in this case it wouldn't matter. Something tells me the modules are all dependent on the UT having an installation key. I know if I were a programmer and set things up I would be lazy and use the exact same mechanism for commercial vs open source apps. With that idea, the open source stuff probably has to be licensed by the back end just like the pro stuff does. If the back end is offline, you can't get that license, and everything is a no go for a fresh installation...

However, I second that it would be nice to setup the full Open Source rack independently...

The larger is one of economics. How is UT faring with everything slowing down? It seems to me they are concentrating on projects that will pull in more income over the projects that add to the free offerings.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default Yes, we were down..

First off let me apologize to anyone that was inconvenienced by our downtime yesterday. Believe me when I tell you that our frustration level was as high if not higher than yours yesterday. It was completely unplanned and there was nothing we could do yesterday to remedy the situation.

The problem started at 4:46pm Pacific time and was resolved at 12:22pm last night. Our ISP mistakenly removed a VLAN that carried traffic for our part of the data center.

Even before this happened we've been moving to build a system that would mitigate exactly this problem. It should be in production by the end of February at the latest. We'll be increasing our bandwidth twenty fold and removing single points of failure throughout the network layer.

So, we apologize profusely and will work to make sure this never happens again.

Marc Runkel
    Technical Operations Manager
    Untangle, Inc.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

It happens.

Default thanks

The good news is that the client has an untangle up and running today, and they will join the 20 or so other clients that i have who are VERY happy with thier untangles. I understand your frustration and appriciate that you responded. Thank you for being held accountable. I wasnt looking for anything other than a response, but it did bring up a few good ideas. Got to love this kind of development...Thanks again guys...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast