Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

no need for per user..you jsut set hte maximum cap on bandwidth usage and then put each protocol you want to omit in it's own queue.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    no need for per user..you jsut set hte maximum cap on bandwidth usage and then put each protocol you want to omit in it's own queue.
    Are you saying that's how it works with pfsense? Because I'm not finding that UT's QOS handles it. I found Astaro's QOS did better in this respect.

Greg

Untangler

@dmorris

All the above items in your list would be very useful.

As would:
    The ability to find out what IP/Port is currently say pegging the upload bandwidth.
    The ability to send an SNMP alert.
    Prevent a connection from using say 50% (or n%) of a connections bandwidth if anyone else is using it.

good ideas
    thanks mandrake
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by takoateli View Post
    Are you saying that's how it works with pfsense? Because I'm not finding that UT's QOS handles it. I found Astaro's QOS did better in this respect.

Greg
    nopers i can only speak to astaro..

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by far182 View Post
    Thanks dmorris. I have been slammed since yesterday. I will take some time this evening and post what we are looking for. For now I can provide this addition:

We currently use Edgewaternetworks Edgemac devices for Voip deployments. The traffic shaping/ALG is extremely good. We have tested Untangle and it provides good (almost excellent) traffic shaping for VOIP as well. We prefer every other aspect of Untangle besides Edgewater's ability to score VOIP calls (MOS Scores. See Wikipedia: Mean opinion score - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). We would love Untangle to shine in VOIP.

Requirements:

* Must be configurable to alert in syslog.
    * Must log start/end of calls. At the end of the call it should display the lowest MOS score in the call and the average MOS score.
    * Must be able to set a low MOS score threshold. Since 4.40 is perfect and 1 is lowest, we should be able to set a threshold of 3.98 (just an example) and have syslog report that the threshold was crossed.
    * When an active call crosses below the threshold, it should make a syslog entry in real-time.
    * Each call should have a unique ID number so that we can find calls in the log. Each syslog entry for call status should have the call ID in it.

Thanks!
    This would be awesome!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdmike View Post
    192.168.0.1 - 192.168.4.254 = max bandwidth (per host) 50kbps
    192.168.1.126 = max bandwidth 200kbps
    ect... (network range definition and an overriding per host allotment)
    We have very simple requirements so, for our network, this sounds the most appealing to me because it would create the ability to offer different levels of service to different VLAN's and/or LAN segments (e.g., Guest versus Employee Wi-Fi networks).
    Last edited by epretorious; 02-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Master Untangler

On item not mentioned nor have I seen on another firewall system is destination oriented QOS. For example, I have several clients that use 1 web application, a sales tool at two specific web sites. It is paramount that it get first priority through the network. They are permitted access to the general web too however, I want all other web activity to be secondary to the sales tool.
    Most of my other thoughts have already been mentioned. I think some type of sequential rule set rather than a simple multitiered system would be best since if you offered me 5 tiers, I'm sure sooner or later I'd need 6. Also makes it easier to move stuff about. I suspect that one is a significant undertaking so something along the lines of what PFSense does would be fine provided there's more than 5 basic queues. I think 10 would be probably be better.

Untangler

Great options, which will certainly be used in my case.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post

some examples I've heard thus far:
    - monitor bandwidth consumption (reports)
    - restrict some applications/websites to certain allocations (youtube to 5kb/sec)
    - prioritize traffic such that some activities can never take bandwidth from mission critical apps (voip, salesforce.com, etc)
    - prioritize traffic such that latency critical applications don't suffer (voip, games, etc)
    - give a specific user or machine a quota (500Mb/day)
    - give everyone quotas (500Mb/day) and after they use the quota the have very little bandwidth (ie - the penalty box like a 10kb/sec limit)
    Just one to add:
    - Being able to see these "reports" live. Not having to wait until the next day to see how was using 99% of your bandwidth. Something like the output of "jnettop" currently available in Untangle.

--------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast