Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    some examples I've heard thus far:
    - monitor bandwidth consumption (reports)
    You show this as reports. It would be nice have this as real time monitoring and being able to run past reports as needed.

Great post.

Lannie

Untanglit

I really wanted to chime in, with the request that all of my "home untangle" users want.
    Daily, Weekly, and Monthly reports on total bandwidth used. Just like in the Tomato Firmware, that can be used on several consumer-based routers. Between AT&T's 40GB per month Bandwidth Cap, and Comcast's 250GB per month Bandwidth Cap, this would be a insanely valuable feature.

Untangler

Just wanted to add, that my office is needing this exact addon. We would be willing to do some beta testing on it as well. The ability to shape traffic is in high demand in our office.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbour View Post
    On item not mentioned nor have I seen on another firewall system is destination oriented QOS. For example, I have several clients that use 1 web application, a sales tool at two specific web sites. It is paramount that it get first priority through the network. They are permitted access to the general web too however, I want all other web activity to be secondary to the sales tool.
    Most of my other thoughts have already been mentioned. I think some type of sequential rule set rather than a simple multitiered system would be best since if you offered me 5 tiers, I'm sure sooner or later I'd need 6. Also makes it easier to move stuff about. I suspect that one is a significant undertaking so something along the lines of what PFSense does would be fine provided there's more than 5 basic queues. I think 10 would be probably be better.
    agreed on this - I'm thinking some kind of rule-based system (with wizards to make it easier for casual users)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by juank View Post
    Just one to add:
    - Being able to see these "reports" live. Not having to wait until the next day to see how was using 99% of your bandwidth. Something like the output of "jnettop" currently available in Untangle.

Agreed - I'll add "real-time" word to monitoring
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Regarding real-time monitoring, a nice touch would be a drop down filter list of Category of Apps. After choosing Apps, the next drop down would be similar to the drop down list of each App (e.g. Blocked HTTP Traffic, All HTTP Traffic, etc). Then the final button will be "Filter" or "Go".

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    There are a *lot* of feature requests around managing and monitoring the bandwidth usage of the network. I'd like to hear some specific use cases around what you are looking to accomplish.

Assume that we had a new bandwidth management app that was simple and powerful - what kind of policies would people put in place on their networks?

some examples I've heard thus far:
    - monitor bandwidth consumption (reports)
    - visualize real-time bandwidth consumption
    - restrict some applications/websites to certain allocations (youtube to 5kb/sec)
    - prioritize traffic such that some activities can never take bandwidth from mission critical apps (voip, salesforce.com, etc)
    - prioritize traffic such that latency critical applications don't suffer (voip, games, etc)
    - give a specific user or machine a quota (500Mb/day)
    - give everyone quotas (500Mb/day) and after they use the quota the have very little bandwidth (ie - the penalty box like a 10kb/sec limit)
    For a school environment I would be looking at the above, specifically giving users quotas as that would be the most powerful management feature.
    Perhaps also, based on user quotas.. if user X reaches/exceeds their quota, disable specific protocols (such as FTP, online media/radio protocols..)
    Our Current Platform [INACTIVE Until further notice - finally in a new building!]
    ---------------------------------
    Intel Desktop Board type D865GVHZ + Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT, 2GB Dual-channel RAM, 40GB HDD, 3x3Com 309x 10/100 PCI, 3Mbit 4 to 1 Business Cable, roughly 500 users and 220 machines and growing.
    ---------------------------------
    Please make use of the Untangle Bugzilla to vote for and report issues/requests!!

Dirk that is actually a really inclusive list from my end.

The most important however is the ability to visualize real-time bandwidth consumption per user/ip.

This feature is required for troubleshooting. It's really hard to find the guy who's driving the session counts over the top when you have to get into the darn shell.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Catching this thread kind of late but it would also be nice to monitor using netflow. In doing this netflows should also be able to sent to a collector (larger customers) who are already using netflow for monitoring.
    --
    greyman & his :twocents:

Untangler

dmorris - can you give us any info how this feature is progressing? Sorry, my boss keeps asking me when untangle is going to have this feature :P

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast