Untanglit

Default your opinion of untangles value

Hi all,

Im looking for current users and people selling untangle services opinion on the value of untangle versus other products.

A typical 15 user business comparison

For example, untangle pro package +kaspersky antivirus is $756 a year

ESET / NOD32 antivirus / spam / spyware solution is $414 (this is the uk price converted, id imagine its cheaper bought in $'s.

This then drops for renewels only.

Is untangle value for money as a antivirus / spyware / spam solution?

What are untangles biggest value for money features for you or your clients?

What makes it a better product and investment for them?

Thanks for your time!

Erm... you can't compare ESET and Untangle... one is a desktop solution and the other is a network solution.

Untangle is never meant to replace desktop AV. It is only meant to support it. I can say from my experience that the Untangle value is in the second scan. Between the free AV module, and Eset on the desktop, I don't have viruses on the network that require my attention to fix anymore...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Be sure to consider the Web filter in your calculations. For most of my clients that feature ALONE is worth the price - depending on what package you select. A few checks and we have nobody browing Facebook, My Space, ESPN or Monster on company time! That pays for the package cost several times over.

You can get most of what you want in the free package and add the others ala carte. I have a client that has only purchased a combo of AD connector and Policy Manager for 11-50 users. Cost was about $250 for the year.

Esoft web filter and Kaspersky would be nice additions but they do not fit every clients budget.

Untanglit

Sorry i might be coming across a bit wrong, im not trying to bash untangle here, ive tested and really like it, im just tackling the kind of questions potential customers ask me.

@sky-knight i understand they are very different approaches, but i think they are comparable. Your not comparing how they work, but what problems they can solve.

A typical customer looks at price first, pros and cons second.

If there need is to "secure the network" they can take both these routes.

If they have desktop / server protection - they will ask why they need it at the gateway. As they see it as subtracting value from the desktop software spend.

If they have it at the gateway - and someone uses a CD, USB drive or 3G modem, they can infect the network and computers.

There first argument is desktop / server products protect from both internet and local, gateway is open to internal threats.

There second is if ive paid for local, what value is the gateway?

thanks again for the input

one thing you have to do is make the client see beyond the simple price..if they are allowed(or if you do this) to always head for the floor they will get snackered..once they do you are in the hot seat.

In building a Value Proposition you need to consider a number of important factors.

In my way of thinking
    Untangle is a Unified Threat Management System with some additional value added. Once you get that aspect sorted out then identify where Untangle provides Value.

Network security done intelligently provides the 1st line of defense and in Your scenario that cost is $756 a year

Desktop Security provides the 2nd line of defense and in your scenario $414 a year

What is the cost of the Untangle Box ?
    What is the cost of the supporting the Untangle Box ?

Where is the cost savings for the Untangle secured Network ?
    Once you have figured out the cost savings then You are on the way to build that Value Proposition [business case] you seek.

The integration and services are where the value lies. Where else can you get a spam solution, network anti virus and spyware solution, web filter solution, remote access solution (VPN and RAP), firewall security solution, attack blocker solution, and network control solution (protocol control) that is active directory integrated and provides the robust reporting features that untangle does? I think there are several products that several of those things well, but not one that does them all well.

This is a solution that you can deploy all at once, on one piece of hardware, that gives you peace of mind, control, and accountability for your network for a price that is hard to beat. Plus, do you really want to support all those solutions you offered up as an alternative? At least with untangle you have two major sources of help to turn to if things go south. The forums and the live support. Your getting your moneys worth with this product.
    Last edited by proactivens; 02-17-2009 at 08:35 AM.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Well I wouldn't call the reporting feature "robust" but it gets the job done.

Still I have to echo the sentiment...

I don't use UT because I believe it is the best darn product on the shelf. I use UT because the people that work at Untangle have their heads screwed in the right way. They have the internal culture to make this work. And because of that internal culture, they have attracted one of the best online communities ever created to support the product.

Support is the name of the game... UT has it, in spades.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I don't use UT because I believe it is the best darn product on the shelf. I use UT because the people that work at Untangle have their heads screwed in the right way. They have the internal culture to make this work. And because of that internal culture, they have attracted one of the best online communities ever created to support the product.
    Careful, im starting to belive you!

It's true. This community rocks!
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!