Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wishlist

Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

Default My Wishlist

Here are some things I would like to see in future releases. Others may benefit too.

1) Integrated Real Time Bandwidth Meter

Sometimes it nice to see an entire list of my connected clients and see how much bandwidth is being used by each (not a % but kb/mb/s)

2) Integrated Speed Test
    Would be nice to "1-click" a network speedtest from speedtest.net/CNET/dslreports. This would help you determine your bandwidth from the UT console without connecting to or running these test from clients. Rules out everything behind UT (for the most part)

3) Integrated Ad Blocking

I know the web survives on advertisements but there are plenty of ways to get rid of them for those who do not wish to see them. Would be nice to block them at the gateway level. I think UT should take a step in this direction and could be a huge selling point for enterprises.

4) More Advanced QoS

I know this is being discussed elsewhere but important nonetheless. Limiting according to speed (kb/s) rather than a percentage of total bandwidth would be nice.

5) A More Robust VPN

Creating IPsec tunnels would be very beneficial. Enterprise users and clients would benefit.

6) Internal Admin Port

It really would be nice if UT admin port was not 80. I am still very surprised that this port was chosen to administer the services. I know this is built in to the core of UT so it is probably a moot point.

7) A Better Integrated Status Page with RRD Stats
    Would be nice to have 1 page (maybe in the admin section) dedicated to all of the things going on, either at the moment or over time. Like bandwidth for the day/week/month. Or CPU/HD utilization trends with graphs up to the minute (and not just thru reports) Interface statistics too. I know it can be found now, but i have to dig for it and hover for tool tips and what not. A plain text page with maybe some rrdtool data would be nice. The reporting that it has now is nice, but its kind of just a library. By the time you see a trend (100% disk utilization, Pegged CPU, etc...), it is too late (ie. reports are nightly at midnight).

(I guess I got use to a smoothwall add on. http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=23853 Each graph was clickable until it zoomed out to the entire year, and up to the minute accuracy)

Full view

Sorry this turned in to a really long post. I think untangle is awesome and I love all of the current features and ease of use.
    Last edited by 7echno7im; 03-10-2009 at 03:48 PM.

great suggestions!

thanks for the organized feedback (and screenshots)

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Nice suggestions. The only thing I would add is UPnP support!!

Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

Sorry I keep referring back to smoothwall, but its what I am use to I suppose. Here is an example of the bandwidth bars for each connected client in the bandwidth they are using in real time. This helped me infinitely when my speed would crawl, i could click on it and say "Oh, that's because so-and-so is downloading at 10 mb/s!!"

I like the dashboard in PFSense....it was a plugin for earlier versions, now standard in 2.0.

Default QoS Easter Egg

Thomas Belote
    Untangle

Untanglit

I personally would like to see UPS support - for example, APC' shutdown message broadcast to all subnets that UT is connected that devices should shutdown if there is no electricity and the things are running on battery; or at least showing the status of the UPS with possibility that at least UT would shutdown, if UPS itself sends the shutdown message or if UT is connected directly to UPS (RS or USB)... m2c
    Who are you? What do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
    I personally would like to see UPS support
    Me too -- and IMO this is one capability that THIS security solution should -- by default -- have implemented from the get go.

Who in their right mind would productionalize Untagel as a ROUTER in any business environment without UPS support ?

Master Untangler

anyone try adding nut? It supports apc...can broadcast, etc. Use it on my other servers. UT not added to it but probably wouldn't hurt. no gui though; that would be nice
    Dave Bour
    Desktop Solution Center
    Burlington, ON, Canada
    www.desktopsolutioncenter.ca
    905.381.0077 X501

Default Network UPS Tools

Quote Originally Posted by dcbour View Post
    UT not added to it but probably wouldn't hurt.
    Thanks for the info Dave -- wish I had the Linux expertise to feel confident with implementing this project into my untangle box -- but currently my Linux capabilities are very limited and I do not have time to learn the hard way [trial and error].

Perhaps some Linux/Untangle Guru would take on the challenge ?

I do not understand why UPS support is not part of the Untangle/Router solution ? Who in their right mind would want to run Untangle/Router without UPS protection especially in a business environment ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast