Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

Default Where is UT and its Apps headed?

I know I have asked for a road map in one of my posts but no one replied to that aspect of the thread. So i figured I would start a new one. I wish I knew what direction UT was taking as far as the different virtual appliances and what direction/implementations are expected when.

A road map should be relatively easy to come up with considering UT controls each application, rather than community supported add ons. I know this takes time and effort, but i would assume there is a project manager assigned to UT as a whole? I just wish that someone would publish what is yet to come for UT as a whole and possibly each virtual appliance.

I ask because as much as i like untangle, if feature "X" and "Y" are going to be added in around 6 months I may wait, but if critical feature "Z" is not even being looked at I may not.

I second your request. Having a would also definetly make it easy to promote the product to the public and anyone you are looking to provide services/systems to. If it exist somewhat and I have overlooked it please direct me.

UT does a major new release every 6 to 8 months... given the pattern I've come to know. The issue with the road map is it seems like they don't finalize a feature set for the new version until the thing goes beta.

It's annoying, and a road map would certainly be of help for me as a reseller. But, the fly by the seat of the pants thing is sort of fun at times too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

It also appears that a lot of times they look at user feedback between versions and add things that wouldn't necessarily have gotten into the roadmap. This is the major disadvantage of having a concrete plan of direction is lack of flexibility. However that being said something that would give an idea of what they are looking to introduce would be nice too.

Master Untangler deleted_account+118970@untangle.com's Avatar

All good points. I am not asking for a very detailed map, as road maps are typically are not. I am not even asking for a time line either because I know this can be tough to calculate. Just looking for something that says some of the possible things that you may expect from Untangle as a whole, and each individual app.

And as I said before, this should be somewhat easier to come up with over a community driven project considering Untangle 100% controls what is released and when.

meh, I'm just rambling now....

bugzilla is the plan of record. you can watch any features and all current work being done is tracked through bugzilla.

as far as communicating 6 months out, in our experience its just not accurate and just frustrates users (ie "OMG, You said multi-wan was going to be in 6.0!"). We make rapid changes to our plans for the next release based on demand, feedback, leverage of third party projects and a host of other conditions.

If you want to know "whats going on" just add yourself to the CC list on any bug/task in bugzilla and you'll be updated whenever it changes status.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com