Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hey, i did my first untangle box using an old ECS motherboard with a P3 933, a 40gb and 768mb pc-133 ram. 2 oddball network card from a junk bin, and it runs solid so far.. Maybe i got lucky ? I don't notice that much slowdown on internet access, but i've just got 3 apps loaded on the rack. For a test build, it worked fine.. So far.

The lack of apps saved you there. "Junk" nics require more ram. RAM is the Achilles Heel of Untangle. The UVM is java and eats ram, software based nics make this issue worse. Then you add the third strike... the Linux kernel can't page routing or bridging operations, so all those packets you want delivered in less than 10 nanoseconds? Yeah, those are driving up the ram needs too.

My First UT was a P4 1.7 with 2 intel pro 100's... the thing is still in service. After that I built another with a P3 933 with 2 more intel pro 100's.. that one is also still in service... it just takes ages to boot. As soon as I swapped any of the intel's with realtek based cheap nics... the boxes died.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Oh, i see. Would a atom 230 board, with a dual intel nic, 2gb ram be of to serve, say, 10-15 nodes, with a few apps ? I need to build a few boxes for small networks like that.

Oh.. and is there any way i can check what the NIC cards are in basic config. mode from the UT interface ?

Default slow downs

Quote Originally Posted by sonicpld View Post
    Hello

I've installed :
    Build: 6.0.2~svn20090105r21174release6.0-1sarge
    on :
    AMD 1.7 GHz / 1 Gb RAM / 40 Gb HDD
    load :
    CPU : up to 70% - when all ( 7 PC's ) doing something online ...

Before installation i've download with about 80-100 kb/s
    now - i don't go much than 50-60 kb/s

I've stopped all the service, to find the guilty one, but speed remain slow.

Is there some workaround ?
    90% of the time its DNS.

I had a similar issue and could not even access my Apache Webserver from internal, but from External it responds lightning fast.
    See how I fixed this in Network forum.

DNS can be a stinker.
    Especially if you plop some M$ servers in there and make it real fun with all the netbios and wins running.

I have seen this happen with Sonic Wall, where you have to put the Mickey Server as the primary DNS in the device and use the DNS Forwarding in '2003 Server" If not the network is so slow.

In another case:

I had one office with 82 PCs, 45 more VPN to the Terminal server from outside - all on at once.

They got blacklisted and panicked, so I took my Living Room box up there just to get them through.

Its an Athlon 1000 with 1.25 gig of ram (old crap laying around).
    It does have 3 Intel Pro 1000 cards in it. (I spent $$ on these)

They have two static IP's and a fibre 1.5 Mbps feed.

A month later trying to take that box away from them was like pulling teeth. Old piece of crap beside a very impressive rack of servers and switches and they noticed a speed performance increase of over 25% from day 1 that NEVER slowed down. (probably cuz they were being hammered from outside on their little dlink) (No I did not design that one initially)

We now have them running the new core 2 duo Intel also with 3 Pro 1000 cards and just about the same speed as the old Athlon was. I sleep better knowing that old Athlon is not going to start a fire there one night

As a side note, we have since converted them to OpenVPN from within UT and the speed is literally twice as fast as the MSChap that the terminal server was providing.

Frankly hardware is cheap, and UT themselves provide a pretty damned fine boxed appliance.

If you are going to build a "parts" UT box, remember it is a Linux based kernel.
    Linux does NOT like bad hardware so test the drives using smartctl and test the heck out of the ram.

Windows will blue screen and barf from time to time on bad hardware.
    Linux will not run like that.
    ALWAYS TEST the hardware first. Its your front end server!

And for goodness sakes spend some money on REAL network cards not the $8 ones we all like to cheap out on our home boxes with.

Even Linux machines will choke to death on IO swaps if you put in crappy nic cards and then expect to really hammer the network.

Kudos to the people at UT for Open Sourcing this project so that we can really protect the smaller companies out there inexpensively and shine as Techs in the process.

I was doing the same with Red Hat in the past anyway, using snort, squid etc but the Web Interface and all the sweet features built in to UT make monitoring so much nicer.

Not to mention the install time is under 90 mins completely configured.
    Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123