Default Wonderful Software, But...

I own a network installation and administration business, so we install quite a few proxy gateways each year. I'm always dumbstruck by the ridiculous cost of many of the packages, and quite honestly feel bad watching my customers pay so dearly.

I ran across Untangle and have been running it on three machines to give it a good solid test. So far, I am very impressed. Impressed enough that I would be willing to install at my customer's locations, the Pro version of course - with full support. But, alas, I find that I cannot because it lacks two features that are absolute musts.

1) It desperately needs keyword filtering. I have tried to administer LANs without this feature, and quite honestly, I can't keep up with all of the proxy servers that pop up each day. I implemented Untangle with the proxy category prohibited, and followed the logs at my company. Each day, I blacklisted all of the open proxies that my boys found. After 2 weeks I will tell you that I am tired of typing. And what's more, they have searched whatever they pleased each of those 14 days. A simple filter on "proxy" would have done wonders!

2) It also desparately needs the ability to reject any purely numeric URLs that are entered. This keeps the rogue user from avoiding DNS filters entirely by just typing the corresponding dotted decimal address. I know it knocks out a few (very few in my opinion) legitimate site, but my customers have always been more than happy to make that sacrifice.

While there are other little niceities that I can rattle off, these two items are the show stoppers. Please consider adding these (preferably tout suite) and I will gladly spread your software throughout our local business community!

Thank you for all of your magnificent efforts.

to be understood, you must first understand.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks aybesea!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

No... thank you!!!

Do you want to block ALL URLs that use IPs instead of domain names or only the IPs that you put in the list? Just curious.

Not sure if this is possible but can you give the event logs contextual menus?

It would be quicker to set a rule from there especially if you have untangle open on a second display and are monitoring activity on the fly so to speak.

mdh

Not sure I get that one, but it sounds really pretty for this time of morning .
    Could you go into a bit of detail?

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Not sure I get that one, but it sounds really pretty for this time of morning .
    Could you go into a bit of detail?
    Okay, say your in Protocol Control, you notice some guy in america is trying to force his way in via an open port on your firewall, you want to quickly setup a rule that bars all access to that IP.

Right click the client IP:Port in Event Log a menu appears that says Block Client and other context sensitive options.

Done deal.

P.S. See other thread I just posted as a for instance.