View Poll Results: Do you have nested groups in your active directory configuration?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

33 84.62%
  • no

6 15.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    While you're looking at groups... consider OU as well.
    GOOD idea!

Untanglit

Any time frame on Group implementation. I work for a school and want to give teachers and students different levels of content filtering. The problem is that it would be just too time consuming to implement and maintain this by usernames only and IP addressing won't work either because teachers and students use the same computers often.

-bj

Untanglit

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bj@rcsu.org View Post
    Any time frame on Group implementation. I work for a school and want to give teachers and students different levels of content filtering. The problem is that it would be just too time consuming to implement and maintain this by usernames only and IP addressing won't work either because teachers and students use the same computers often.

-bj
    How many teachers do you have?

While were talking about the ad connector here, I think it would be worth while to at least contemplate the addition of other LDAP servers into the product. Mac and linux ldap for example.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untanglit

I have about 100 teachers and 400 students. While dealing with 100 usernames is not out of the question, Untangle doesn't even alphabetize them so I have to filter through 500 random users just to try and locate "smithj", times that by 100 and it is not worth the time. Plus I don't want to have to remember to add a user to the untangle box every time our personnel changes.

-bj

P.S. I am doing a presentation on Untangle at the FOSSED conference in Main this June. I know the question of weather teachers and students can have different policies will come up. As of now my response will be: unless the AD is less then 50 users it is probably not worth the time. I'd rather say it can be done with 2 check boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    We're looking into supporting active directory groups...
    Just wondering

Do you have nested groups in your active directory configuration?
    Excellent idea ! It will make the AD connector/Policy Manager a better product.
    Don't forget about OUs.
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by proactivens View Post
    While were talking about the ad connector here, I think it would be worth while to at least contemplate the addition of other LDAP servers into the product. Mac and linux ldap for example.
    I second that! We would like to use UT so our Teachers, Students and Staff and guests can have their own policies. We do not use AD. We use LDAP.

Lannie

Untangler

count me in great idea we use nested groups and some nested OU's

also I realy like the radius idea

We also use multiple levels of nested ad groups, and would like to see that support built into UT. As an EDU that would make UT hands down the ideal for our environment.

The UNTANGLE active directory support is completely useless to use without groups. Access to everything on our network is group based. For example the group "all students" is made up of groups yr9, yr10, yr11, yr12, yr13 and there could be 300 -350 in each year group.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast